Savage 12 FV improvements?

DXHI

Hey guys this is my first post. I am looking to upgrade the stock, and although I would love to own a mcmillan. ..I would rather spend that money on optics.
I am looking at bell and carlson as a drop in replacement? Any recommendations ? Are they good or should I save for the mcmillan?
This will be used to shoot coyotes out to 500 yds...Il

i had the same gun in 22-250 and loved it i kept everything factory on it and spent my money on the scope didnt take much for that can to be accurate what caliber is yours in?

Make sure you check the guard screw spacing on your particular rifle. This has varied over the years. I would also check out the Savage stocks that are available from the factory. The prices aren't bad. I set up a rifle for my son in law and replaced the Tupperware stock with a wood lanimate, varmint style stock that worked out well. Savage will also match the stock to the serial range on your rifle.

Last edited:
I have the 204..I love it as well..gun can out shoot me for sure. First gun I've ever been able to put 2 bullets in the same hole

I have a McMillan and a B&C. I like the B&C better, simply because it has an aluminum block in it. It is also priced right. Both have been inletted for bottom metal. The McMillan does not come with inserts in it, and have a tendency to crack. I put inserts in mine and bedded it which made it better. I have the Model 12 FVSS in .22-250. I took the flimsy stock hogged it out and bedded 2 fat shaft carbon arrows in it. This thing is bad to the bone out to 850....

22-250hunter, +1, same gun, in 22-250 also, Put a 4.5x14x50 Leupold vx3 on, varget powder and some 52gr ballistic tips, best group was 4 shots in a 2-1/2" group at 500yrds! Sweet set up especially for the price!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts