savage 12 for custom bench gun

308 nate

Hi.I am building a custom bench gun, using a ss, Krieger 7mm,1/9,30",for 180gr berger's and 162gr amax, chamberd in 7mm wsm .I plan to use aluminum barrel block 8" long clamped to barrel. Now I would like to use a savage 12bvss-s action,with a sharp shooter trigger.but my concern is truing the action with savage's two piece bolt, I can't decide if the to piece bolt is good for bolt vibrations or not pleas help! I plan to you's a 8.5-25x30mm leupold, burris signature z rings, 1 piece weaver 20moa base, and laminate bench rest stock 3,1/2" forend. please tell me were i am going wrong. thanks. nate

[ 01-02-2004: Message edited by: 308 nate ]
smile.gif

[ 01-02-2004: Message edited by: 308 nate ]

I would say you are going wrong by building the gun with an 8" barrel block that is not legal by PA BR Rules. 6" is OK. Other than that, I can't see any troubles. As for the 2 piece bolt, I'd say it's better than 1.

Unless of course this is a Heavy class gun in which case you can have all the barrel block you want. If it's a light gun, I'd build it to fit all the rules of every club, which means 16.5#.

[ 01-02-2004: Message edited by: 4mesh063 ]

2 piece bolt, better than 1pc: I agree, relax.
smile.gif
It's a better design IMO. Not to mention you could drop down and shoot a smaller case head cartridge by changing out the $15 bolt head if you rebarrel it.

Burris rings: OK, but I still like a more solid ring better.

barrel contour 1.25 for first 10" then straight taper down to .95". wy forget zee rings? Do you feel 6" barrel block will hold recoil.I am biulding this gun for 1K varment, and for 800yd paper, and steel, targets at my home range.If I shoot comp. it would be heavy class.my first custom bench gun was a 6mmBR .262 tight neck, krieger 1/14 1.25 straight cylinder 28" 700 action trued. leupold 1" 6.5 -20 by 40mm. laminate bench rest stock. I shoot 55gr nosler with 35gr of AA2230 chronograph at 3900fps ES. 13fps .25" 10shots at 100yd I love it!! thank for your input. nate
smile.gif

[ 01-03-2004: Message edited by: 308 nate ]

Personaly I don't think that your gonna be happy with the Savage 12 action as it is a short action and to get all the good out of the WSM case (which is not a true short action round) your gonna have to seat the bullets pretty deep in the case taking up powder space.Unless your gonna single round feed it that is.
As for the two piece bolt I like it better than the one piece and think that it helps accuracy in a rifle that isin't "fully" blue printed.
I sent my 110 action to SSS and they sent it back with a blue printing job , not sure what exactly that entails but it did help with the groups a little , and for $35 its hard to beat.
are you going to float the action , or bed it with the bedding block.

Mine isn't set up quite as nice as yours will be, but it's my first LR rifle and I was on a budget. Savage 12 single shot action, 28" Pac-Nor 3 groove bbl with a 1:8 twist chambered for 264 Win. Mag. (trying to be unique). Stock and trigger by Fred Moreo. Brake by Pac-Nor. Mounts are now Burris dual dovetail Signature setup (wanting Badger or Farrel next). Scope is Leupold 8.5-25x40.

000_0098.JPG

I use it as a live varmint rig and have shot it out to almost a mile at PD's (threw dirt on one of 'em). May try 1,000 BR sometime, but no tight neck and not a very efficient cartridge. But at 28 pounds, the .264 Win. Mag. free recoils about an inch and is a pleasure to varmint hunt at long range with all day long...look Ma' no bruise.

000_0170.JPG

This was a groundhog hunt last year. Only got one shot and my buddy just missed it at about 750 yards.

As for target accuracy, I've not really wrung it out yet. I've shot a few .2's at 100 and the only long range target I shot was at 540 yards and it went like 4.2 inches. For someone that doesn't shoot BR, I was very pleased.

Probably not much help on your questions, but I though you'd like to see the rig and keep your fire stoked.

Good luck.

[ 01-03-2004: Message edited by: Lee in OH ]

Hi, I plan to free float the action and the barrel, only the block will be bedded to the stock, is this good or bad?

What would be the best scope mounting system for a reasonable price?

Hi, Lee that is a bute,
thanks for the pix. they're great!!

smile.gif

308 Nate

Have never seen a barrel block gun that did not have the action freefloated. That is the purpose of the block, more bedding area and letting action free float.

If you are using barrel block, most just have a davidson or custom one piece base mounted to top of block to fit whatever type rings you are using. It an come back over the action. It can be tapered with 20-40 MOA built in and if using 1" scope, you can use the tapered Kelby rings to add more moa.

Think you might want to consider a wider foreend on you gun also. Depending on barrel size, you might find it tight to try and put a 1.25 or larger barrel in a block and have enough material left in stock for inletting that wide a block. Strongly recommend a two piece block over one piece. Your gunsmith and your wallet will love you when comes time to rebarrel. One pieces are hell to get the barrel out sometime especially compared to two piece.

sounds like you are not building a 16.5 lb light gun so go with a 8-9" block and plan on weight of at least 20 lbs.

Recommend you talk with Bruce Baer about a 9" split block and his laminated stocks.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.