Savage 12 F/TR 223 or Sako Varmint SS?

Jorge0155

Hello
I have to decide which rifle to buy for bench rest competitions at 200 and 300 yards with 223 Rem
I am between the Savage 12 F / TR and a Sako Varmint SS (1 in 8).
What advice?

I'd go with the Sako, I have a Savage Model 12 VLP which I love it is the most accurate gun I own, but for hunting i'd much rather carry the Sako around. For a 55 gr bullet 1 in 14 twist is fine.

Why between the 2. At the Sako price could get you into a good used benchrest gun. Built for target shooting. I had a Sako a7 in 300wm. Sub moa or less with factory. All my savages shoot that or better at 1/3 the price. Saw a nice panda with 3 Krieger barrels dies and brass for 2k. My money is on the savage and spend the money on glass.

I agree with the comments on the Savages being great shooters for the money. I have Savage Predators in .204 and a 6.5-284 from the Savage custom shop. That said, I'm still drooling over a Sako Varmint Laminate in .243 and if I can figure out a way to sneak one by the Senior Houshold executive, I'll have one in my safe by September.

My Savage in .308 is a tack driver out to 600 yards, which is the c furthest I used it so far. I'll let you know how it goes as I go further distances.

Hello
I have to decide which rifle to buy for bench rest competitions at 200 and 300 yards with 223 Rem
I am between the Savage 12 F / TR and a Sako Varmint SS (1 in 8).
What advice?
I got the savage 223 f/tr two months ago. Went to a long range last weekend with some friends. Had a blast. 29.5 moa to a 1000. 80.5 grain Berger. 42 moa to 1200. Took 2 to get dope. Then 7 out of 8 on a steel pig. It is heavy. Bought it for a summer shooter here in Texas.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts