Savage 12 F/TR 223 or Sako Varmint SS?

Jorge0155

Hello
I have to decide which rifle to buy for bench rest competitions at 200 and 300 yards with 223 Rem
I am between the Savage 12 F / TR and a Sako Varmint SS (1 in 8).
What advice?

OhYtD

I'd go with the Sako, I have a Savage Model 12 VLP which I love it is the most accurate gun I own, but for hunting i'd much rather carry the Sako around. For a 55 gr bullet 1 in 14 twist is fine.

jvr

Why between the 2. At the Sako price could get you into a good used benchrest gun. Built for target shooting. I had a Sako a7 in 300wm. Sub moa or less with factory. All my savages shoot that or better at 1/3 the price. Saw a nice panda with 3 Krieger barrels dies and brass for 2k. My money is on the savage and spend the money on glass.

YZ-80

I agree with the comments on the Savages being great shooters for the money. I have Savage Predators in .204 and a 6.5-284 from the Savage custom shop. That said, I’m still drooling over a Sako Varmint Laminate in .243 and if I can figure out a way to sneak one by the Senior Houshold executive, I’ll have one in my safe by September.

misterc01

My Savage in .308 is a tack driver out to 600 yards, which is the c furthest I used it so far. I'll let you know how it goes as I go further distances.

Mark M.

I think it's the difference between a Chevy and the Cadillac, both go fast, but sometimes it's nice to have something a little more refined

Tank308

Hello
I have to decide which rifle to buy for bench rest competitions at 200 and 300 yards with 223 Rem
I am between the Savage 12 F / TR and a Sako Varmint SS (1 in 8).
What advice?
I got the savage 223 f/tr two months ago. Went to a long range last weekend with some friends. Had a blast. 29.5 moa to a 1000. 80.5 grain Berger. 42 moa to 1200. Took 2 to get dope. Then 7 out of 8 on a steel pig. It is heavy. Bought it for a summer shooter here in Texas.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce