Savage 12 7mm STW Magnum

ncwg2boatguy

Guys I just acquired a Savage model 12 7mm STW magnum and was wondering if anyones got info on range, Acccuracy and optimum load data or best off the shelf round.

Welcome to the forum, thanks for your service, and congrats on the new 7mm STW.

But, one thing, it's not called an "STW magnum", it's just simply "7mm STW". Not a big deal at all, just trying to be helpful.

You should come join us over in the 7mm STW section of the forum.

7mm STW - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Post some rifle pics when you get a chance.

Accuracy is variable from gun to gun. My factory Remington Sendero SF 7mm STW will shoot 1 ragged hole with the right handloads in it.

Optimum load data is another thing that is individual per gun, I can give you some load data that might get you close, but as for final tweaking you'll have to do that. If you need any load data for Nosler, Berger, or Hornady bullets, let me know, as I have the manuals sitting on my loading bench.

As far as range goes....Well, I'd be willing to say you could easily kill whitetail deer ~1,200 with a really heavy high-BC bullet like the Berger 180. Elk, probably up to +/- 1,000 yards.

It's a pretty nasty caliber. I think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks Brother. I traded a friend in Oregon a Varmit rifle in .204 for it. I like heavy hitting calibers and have enough .223/5.56 variants around for vermin. I gonna jump to the STW forum. It came with a Burris 3-9x40 Signature optic and I was skeptical about recoil. 2nd shot proved my point and cracked the lens internally. Good thing Signatures are lifetime warranty. I have a Leopold MK4 that will do the trick.
Thanks again.

Jimbo

I would also look into an EGW HD (7075 aluminum) picatinny rail, and TPS TSR aluminum low height rings. I run this combo on my STW and it holds my cheap scope steady as a rock! I also run that setup on several of my LR rigs, as it makes interchanging scopes a breeze.

Definitely post some pics in the STW picture thread when you get that MKIV on top of it. I bet that would be a nasty LR rig.

I would also look into an EGW HD (7075 aluminum) picatinny rail, and TPS TSR aluminum low height rings. I run this combo on my STW and it holds my cheap scope steady as a rock! I also run that setup on several of my LR rigs, as it makes interchanging scopes a breeze.

Definitely post some pics in the STW picture thread when you get that MKIV on top of it. I bet that would be a nasty LR rig.
\

Base is solid. Scope was old im sure. I will post pics Friday. The trigger is an accident waiting to happen. My cutoff for safety reasons is 2lbs. My preference. This thing in 10oz on my digital pull gage!!!

I see you have a heavy trigger......:D

I like a really light trigger. Most of mine are around 1-1.5 lbs. I had an old custom .308 Win on a Rem Model 7 action that had a Jewell 10-12oz trigger and that thing was crisp! I loved it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.