Savage 116 replacement stock

esc84

I am currently working on my first savage build and need help finding a stock...
Bottom Release
LA: 300WM
5.06" action screw spacing
Plan on swapping for an XCaliber CF barrel: OD 0.99"
Stock: TBD

I am leaning towards the B&C #1017 (https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1089) stock, but have been told by B&C that I can only open up the barrel channel to 0.725". I believe i can open it up larger, but can't really tell if there is enough material in the channel to open it up to 1". Does anyone have this stock that could help me confirm before I purchase?

I appreciate the help.

I had that stock on a Savage 110 (top bolt release) in .280 AI that had a 'Heavy Sporter' contour barrel from Criterion (.700 OD at the muzzle) and my Smith had to open it slightly for that. Honestly, opening it up much more than that probably wouldn't have been doable. 😕

I am currently working on my first savage build and need help finding a stock...
Bottom Release
LA: 300WM
5.06" action screw spacing
Plan on swapping for an XCaliber CF barrel: OD 0.99"
Stock: TBD

I am leaning towards the B&C #1017 (https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1089) stock, but have been told by B&C that I can only open up the barrel channel to 0.725". I believe i can open it up larger, but can't really tell if there is enough material in the channel to open it up to 1". Does anyone have this stock that could help me confirm before I purchase?

I appreciate the help.
I have a work-in-process budget build using Savage LA bottom bolt release and will be using Oryx chassis (https://oryxchassis.com/us/oryx-bolt-action-rifle-chassis.html). It can easily accommodate a 1.000"+ OD barrel.

I just did a 26 nosler on a savage old rum action flatback. Xcaliber carbon barrel 1.00"

I used the full alluminum bed hogue stock. I glass skim coated. I used a razor blade and shaved the rubber overlay thinner and have good 1/16th clearance or more.

Scope just came today so no word on accuracy yet. I have scoped repeater magnum at 8lbs.....finally

As I love all my Savage's and there are more stocks for a Savage than ever LA & SA, old & new model, you have to take what you can get for stock's. I use SSS, ORYX, MDT, Boyd's, XLR & Choate Tactical. Even though Savage has made their stocks, better, they're still still crap!

That chassis does look nice, but Im wanting to stick with a more traditional gun stock.
Well, you did not say that as your requirement. Anyway, with bottom bolt release, you are going to be limited. When I was doing my research for my build, Boyd and Oryx Chassis are the only two I considered. There might be some more that I do not know about. Good luck!

Have you looked at Stockade stocks? I'm still considering their "Prairie Dog Special" for a Savage LA build, but based on your link above I wonder if their "Mule Deer" stock would work for you?

I have that exact stock and have a Shilen heavy sporter barrel that measures .72" at the muzzle. My smith opened it up without issue, but didn't mention how much farther he could have gone.

"told by B&C that I can only open up the barrel channel to 0.725" is that a muzzle diameter they gave you?

What's the diameter of your barrel at the end of the stock?

this is what B&C said... "That stock can be opened up to accept a barrel that measures 1.25" at the receiver and tapers to .725" at the muzzle of the barrel channel."

I'm off my feet recovering from an ankle surgery. I'll try to get to it and get it measured, but no promises it'll be quick.

For fun, I'll take a guess that the barrel is .94" at the end of the stock. Let's see if I'm right.

I had that stock on a Savage 110 (top bolt release) in .280 AI that had a 'Heavy Sporter' contour barrel from Criterion (.700 OD at the muzzle) and my Smith had to open it slightly for that. Honestly, opening it up much more than that probably wouldn't have been doable. 😕
Oh, I just noticed yours is bottom release. I said mine was exactly the same, but it's actually top release. My mistake.