Savage 112 Magnum .338 Lapua Action??

I purchased a long range hunter and set it in an xlr chassis's then gave it to my brother for his birthday. He then added a 34" .338 imp. Barrel to it and finished it out with a atacr ffp.
He's doing load work now just touched 3,000fps with cutting edge lazer 300gr. And rl33. No pressure yet. I purchased another 110 stealth and had the same smith use the same reamer to make it a imp and use for fire form brass. I feeel better about burning up that barrel being 24" gonna push the lightest 178gr? Hammers through it.
So with this action should we still just load till we see first sign of pressure or would you guys stop around the typical 200 plus fps. How I'm using lapua brass so kinda concerned it will mask over pressure. Or is that not a worry?

For me I just went till the primers started to flatten. Then backed it off till they no longer flatten. I am using Fed215M primers.

I did not run into stiff bolt lift or ejector smear with that method.

For me I just went till the primers started to flatten. Then backed it off till they no longer flatten. I am using Fed215M primers.

I did not run into stiff bolt lift or ejector smear with that method.

Ok that's what my plan was but was unsure about how strong the savage action was. I should stay off other sites that seem to think they are junk. Can't imagine savage running anything that close to max. Just getting more fps than most with a improved. But also running cutting edge and a 34" tube so the extra length may make a big diffrence with rl33

snox801,
I found some 7Mag ammo in the barn. Being the genius I am, I took them to the range. The first few were fine. Then there was a very loud one. The scope was bent and the bolt wouldn't open.

The smith had to pull the barrel to get the fired case out. He couldn't find anything wrong with the action.

I love mine. Bought one as soon as they landed on the market. Shot a mule deer with it the first year at 640. That December I put a proof barrel and terminator break on it. Dialed the trigger down. Started shooting a lot! I was consistently punching steel at 1850. Until catastrophic failure... the stock started separating at the rear of the action through the center of the laminated pieces. I'm in the process still of machining a lighter aluminum stock.

Attachments

• 8D57D42B-97CC-4806-8B68-FCEBC473BBFD.jpeg
    8D57D42B-97CC-4806-8B68-FCEBC473BBFD.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 128
Has anybody had any luck finding an aftermarket stock for one of these? I have been looking all over with no luck. Sure would appreciate any suggestions.

Has anybody had any luck finding an aftermarket stock for one of these? I have been looking all over with no luck. Sure would appreciate any suggestions.
Supposedly the Lapua action is the same screw pattern as their magnum long action, i.e. 5-1/16"
I have two wildcats based on Savage long actions, one in a McRees Precision, and the other in a MDT
Between the two, the McRees is better engineering, finish, and lighter. One caution, "USMC Red" as a chassis color looks like pink in the sun. I just wear a tutu to the range and no one asks questions. (J/K)

Thanks for the responses guys. Not looking for a chassis. Left a message with McMillian today, hoping they can help me. Planning on a carbon fiber barrel. Anyone have an idea what that hog of a factory barrel weighs?

Recent Posts