Savage 112 BVSS

magicofmt

Looking for one of these guns, in 300 win mag. Anyone seen these or heard any news good or bad?
Also a Mark 4 scope, will it be a long shooter?
Thanks for your help.

Magicofmt,

First off welcome to LRH!!!

The 112 BVSS rifles, along with most savage rifles shoot far better then many would expect.

For an entery level rifle for long range shooting this is a quality, very affordable rifle that will serve you very well. The good news is that the rifles shoot very well on average and are relatively inexpensive to get into.

The bad news is that they are not the most pleasing rifle to the eye if that is a concern to you. The rifles generally look much more attractive after they have been shot and you see how they shoot!!

There is certainly nothing wrong with the Mk4 scope but you really do not need to drop that kind of cash to get a quality long range scope. Even some of the Leupold VX-3 Long Range scopes will serve you very well and save you $400 compared to the Mk 4.

One scope I would recommend you looking into is the XOTIC USS scope that is offered by SWFA.

Here is their web sight:

www.swfa.com

I personally feel this scope is far brighter and clearer then any Leupold on the market. They also have the reticle on the first focal plane in the scope which means the mil dot system stays consistant with the target though out the entire power range so you can use the system to full effect on all powers making it an extremely versitile scope.

It also has over 100 moa of vertical adjustment so you would easily be able to take the 300 Win Mag out well past 1000 yards with no special bases needed.

They sell for $800+shipping which I personally feel is a steal. I would pay $400 more after using the scope I ordered in. Very impressive optical system.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the good word on the rifle and the link to the USS scope. Thanks for the warm welcome, it's a wonmderful site to learn about guns, etc. Looks like a great scope you recommended. Now I just have to find the rifle, been looking here in MT and no one has them or can get them withiin 2-3 months.
WOW Maybe I can have you build a rifle, I see you are quite the expert. Any thoughts?

Again thank for your response.

Magic

mine shoots pretty well.
These are the targets from my most recent load development sesion with H4831sc and 220smks. These targets are from 300yds.
target.jpg

This target is my best target to date from 1350yds. my average groups at this distance are a bit bigger than this.
1350ydgroup4.jpg

typically about 14-16" tall by 6" wide. This target was shot with 220SMKs over H1000.

Magicofmt,

Send me your e-mail address and I will get you pricing information on the exact rifle you want. Could have it here in a week and then I can ship it to you or if your close enough you can come pick it up.

Let me know, my distributors have plenty of this exact rifle with the new accu-trigger.

Kirby Allen(50)

I usually have 2 loads I use with a given bullet. For the 220SMK, I use either H4831sc, or H1000. The H4831sc is faster than H1000 in this application, and seems to tolerate deeper seated bullets better than the H1000. Therefore, my "fits in the magazine length" load is 68.4gr or H4831sc. The origional load I developed this with gave me 2738fps. I have since switched lots, and the new one gives me 2706fps, but a better ES so im happy. The H1000 lot I origionally worked up the load with gave me 2638fps. The new one gives me 2692fps. This H1000 load is seated out longer to .010 off the lands and is used in a singleshot format primarily for LR target shooting, or "hunting" (usually varmint shooting) where I need a minimum ES.
A recent attempt to replace the H1000 "long" load with a H4831sc load of the same length got 2741fps with 68.8gr. All of this is a bit deceving if you are looking for max velocity, since none of these are max loads. These loads could all be pumped up a good bit. You can find published data up to 78gr on the H1000, and 72gr on the H4381sc load.
That being said, you really don't get much less wind deflection, or flatter trajectory when you go to the max loads, jusr heavier recoil, and shorter case life.
If you want to push it, you can break 2800fps with H1000 if your rifle will allow.

One other thing, that 1350yd group was not shot with out of the box 220SMKs. These bullets, and all of my long range bullets these days are sorted into like bearing surface lengths, then into base to ogive lengths within a given BS group, and finially meplat uniformed. This process was implimented in order to try and reduce flyers at this distance caused by inconsistant BC, and to lower ES as much as possible. Its seems to work, since I usually get ES for 9-12 shots under 10 fps with the H1000 load. I usually list 16 fps for this loads ES since it is the maximum ES if I combine all of the rounds with this load combo ever shot over the chrony in a single day. ( thats 64 btw).
One more sidenote while im on a tangent, that H1000 is very temp stable. Very Very temp stable.

Kirby,
I found the Savage 112 BVSS in 300 Win Mag and have purchased it. I'm in Blgs, MT and found one in Msla. I had my buddies out looking and they found it. Wished I would have waited another day to read your response. I have a friend that my want one too, I'll let you know. Send me a message with prices to [email protected] Now it's time to start break in, loading and lots of shooting before hunting season. Thanks for your help.
Dan

first off im bran new to this site &i hope im not doing anything wrrong by reply so it goes ihave a savage 300win. mag which i put a muzzle brake plus a limb saver on and i have to say its one of my favorite guns for long range i have shoots greate a little noisy but ill live with that.

abinok, Thanks for the info. I have mostly shot 180's out of my Win. But recently picked up some 220 smks. Will be giving them a try soon. Your response helps put me ahead of the curve and gives much apreciated experience.

Thanks

I have a savage 112 BVSS in 7mm rem mag and I like the gun and scope combo (scope is leupold VX 3 6.5-20) although the gun has not been shooting as well out of the box as I had initally expected. It gave me some horizontal stringing problems and if it wouldn't have done that the groups would have been under .5 in cosistently. But I just sent it away to a gunsmith to have it bedded and a match grade crown put on it. So we'll see how it shoots after I get it back.

I do think that you made a good choice by choosing the 112BVSS and I don't think that it will let you down. GOOD LUCK!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.