Savage 112 300 WSM / RL17 / 190 VLD

RO828

Happy (almost) 4th, everyone.

I am looking for a little insight, especially from those with direct experience.

I have had a Savage 112 BVSS (26", 10 twist) in 300 WSM sitting around which I've finally begun load work for. This is my first 300 WSM and first Savage that I have done any hand loading for. I've run into a couple peculiar issues thus far. The purpose of this rifle is primarily elk hunting, i.e. no bench or comp work. The components I have settled on using for this year are:

190 VLD Hunting
RL 17
215M
Fed or RP brass

I have plenty of options on primers, but I will likely stick with RL 17 and the 190's this year due to time, performance, and availability.

On to the questions...

Regarding the chamber, I am consistently measuring the lands at 2.261". In addition to the 190s, I had also loaded 185 Classic Hunters, and that throat would allow a COAL of only 2.859", or .001" less than recommended. Thankfully, being that the VLDs prefer to be at or near, loading the 190s to 2.258" OGL has worked in my favor so far. For those with knowledge and experience with Savage rifles or 300 WSM chambers, is this a typical throat length? In my experience with the calibers I load, this is an awfully tight configuration and a quick Google search didn't yield much info.

Heeeeerrreeee is where it gets a little wild. I completed my initial range work today. Lack of load data dictated my starting point; one which I was comfortable using. I knew RL17 was a fairly hot powder, but I was surprised to see extreme speeds and slight to mild pressure across the board. Atmosphere as follows: 90 deg F, 39% RH, 27.82 inHg unadjusted.

The biggest surprise came while shooting the 190s. Over 64.5 grains of RL 17, I saw an average speed of 3094 FPS with excellent ES. The attached image is of one of those groups, 0.298 MOA. There were certainly pressure signs (sticky bolt, light extractor marks), but not nearly as extreme as I would have thought to see at those speeds. I saw speeds as high as 3188 FPS out of the 185 CH, with similar pressure, although the groups sucked (more restricted OAL(?)).

Next week I will be working down (counter-intuitive...) and hoping the group remains tight and the load stable.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. To see performance like that out of a factory barreled action is very encouraging, and I am not one to post a thread every time I get speeds a little higher than expected; but those velocities are insane to me.

Happy shooting!

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 126
Scott,
Got two 112BVSS's and they're both fast also. 1st one I bought was .300WinMag, pre-AccuTrigger, flat rear receiver, 2nd is chambered for 6.5-284 Norma w/Accutrigger.
Currently shooting the 208gn A-Max and 210gn Berger Hunting VLD at 3072 and 3073fps, respectively. This is with 81.0gn of Retumbo/CCI250. They were chrono'd a week apart and I could hardly believe the similarities in velocity, ES and SD. POI at 100yds is very similar with Bergers being about a 1/4" higher than the Hornady's.
I launched the 190gn SMK to 3145fps with 80.5gn of H1000/CCI250 and 180gn NBT were right at 3200fps. These were all fired with none of the tell-tale pressure signs.
The only additions to this rifle was a Rifle Basix trigger set @ 2lbs and a very effective Witt Machine Co. muzzle break.

Currently pushing the 140gn A-Max to 3040fps (59.0gn Retumbo/CCI BR2) in my 6.5-284. Accuracy is outstanding with this bullet and can only be described as "one-ragged hole". This rifle wears a Varmint Low Profile (VLP) stock that was bedded by Joe Collier of Collier Rifles (Georgia). I traded the original stock with a LRH member for his VLP.

Not sure why these Savages are hot to trot, but I ain't complaining either. :) JohnnyK.

Attachments

• 20150628_010353_resized.jpg
    20150628_010353_resized.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 20150628_010909_resized.jpg
    20150628_010909_resized.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20150607_104027-1-1_resized_1.jpg
    20150607_104027-1-1_resized_1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 113
Johnny,
Thanks for the reply. And wow...that's extremely impressive stuff. Very interesting info- the 112s being fast. I hadn't looked into it enough to see if there is a known pattern there or not. I'm looking forward to getting more trigger time in prior to elk season!
Scott

My 300WSM Savage has the lands at 2.251CBTO using the 190 VLD, and prefers them at .020", I'd say your chamber is a good representative sample of a factory Savage 300WSM chamber. With H4350 at 66.0 and CCI250's, I'm getting 3064 over the Magnetospeed. I stopped load development there, groups were excellent and there were no pressure signs at 56°, about average for my hunting conditions.
I have another factory barrel here, I haven't got around to taking chamber measurements on it yet. I'm hoping it's throated the same.

Happy (almost) 4th, everyone.

I am looking for a little insight, especially from those with direct experience.

I have had a Savage 112 BVSS (26", 10 twist) in 300 WSM sitting around which I've finally begun load work for. This is my first 300 WSM and first Savage that I have done any hand loading for. I've run into a couple peculiar issues thus far. The purpose of this rifle is primarily elk hunting, i.e. no bench or comp work. The components I have settled on using for this year are:

190 VLD Hunting
RL 17
215M
Fed or RP brass

I have plenty of options on primers, but I will likely stick with RL 17 and the 190's this year due to time, performance, and availability.

On to the questions...

Regarding the chamber, I am consistently measuring the lands at 2.261". In addition to the 190s, I had also loaded 185 Classic Hunters, and that throat would allow a COAL of only 2.859", or .001" less than recommended. Thankfully, being that the VLDs prefer to be at or near, loading the 190s to 2.258" OGL has worked in my favor so far. For those with knowledge and experience with Savage rifles or 300 WSM chambers, is this a typical throat length? In my experience with the calibers I load, this is an awfully tight configuration and a quick Google search didn't yield much info.

Heeeeerrreeee is where it gets a little wild. I completed my initial range work today. Lack of load data dictated my starting point; one which I was comfortable using. I knew RL17 was a fairly hot powder, but I was surprised to see extreme speeds and slight to mild pressure across the board. Atmosphere as follows: 90 deg F, 39% RH, 27.82 inHg unadjusted.

The biggest surprise came while shooting the 190s. Over 64.5 grains of RL 17, I saw an average speed of 3094 FPS with excellent ES. The attached image is of one of those groups, 0.298 MOA. There were certainly pressure signs (sticky bolt, light extractor marks), but not nearly as extreme as I would have thought to see at those speeds. I saw speeds as high as 3188 FPS out of the 185 CH, with similar pressure, although the groups sucked (more restricted OAL(?)).

Next week I will be working down (counter-intuitive...) and hoping the group remains tight and the load stable.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. To see performance like that out of a factory barreled action is very encouraging, and I am not one to post a thread every time I get speeds a little higher than expected; but those velocities are insane to me.

Happy shooting!

Scott
RO828,
What is the SD of your 190 VLD load and did you try the 185 CLASSIC HUNTER BULLETS at magazine length or what please?

Hotolds - thank you. Sounds like I am right where I should be. I'm looking forward to refining this load.

Phil, with the minimal amount of shooting I have done with the 190's, my SD is 6 FPS on the nose. I will update that when I amass a more representative sample. And yes, the 185s were loaded to mag length. I would imagine they like to be farther off the lands, so I may play with them a bit more. What are your thoughts on that? With the performance I'm getting out of the 190s, there may be no need to bother messing with the 185s this year.

Hotolds - thank you. Sounds like I am right where I should be. I'm looking forward to refining this load.

Phil, with the minimal amount of shooting I have done with the 190's, my SD is 6 FPS on the nose. I will update that when I amass a more representative sample. And yes, the 185s were loaded to mag length. I would imagine they like to be farther off the lands, so I may play with them a bit more. What are your thoughts on that? With the performance I'm getting out of the 190s, there may be no need to bother messing with the 185s this year.
RO828,
With an SD of 6 I do believe you are pretty much there. However, the pressure signs are telling you that you are right on the edge. Probably have a couple of toes over even. You MAY want to back the load off in small increments to get down to your last accuracy node before this one and do group testing there at different ranges. What was the temperature you did this test at?. Keep this load in your back pocket and test it again when it gets cold and see what it does. The velocity issue MAY be the issue with the 185 grain also. Work the load back with that one also when you test it again and see whats up. Let us know if you need anything else! Happy 4th !!

Phil,
Thanks. It is nice to know we have direct resources like you here.
Scott

Could always try seating the bullet a few thousandths and see if you can keep the same accuracy. That should brings pressures down slightly as well

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.