Savage 111 model worth building????

snake

A friend has a 30.06 in a Savage synthetic 111 model from Big 5 Sporting Goods. Im asking for him and trying to get info for him. He would like to rebarrel the current action and rechamber it for a .338 EDGE or similar caliber. He then wanted to go even bigger and go .375 RUM.

Is the action worth using? I couldn't anwer his questions he had cause those Big % models are sorta entry level rifles if im not mistaken meaning the whole rifle is "cheaply made".

He wanted to do a fluted long heavy barrel like 28" or 30" with big brake on it. Is it able to stand up to the pressures of the ultra magnums?

THANKS for any help on this guys.

It will be just fine. It will handle any of the RUM's single shot.

It's basically the same action I've built two 338 Edge's on, soon to be 3. :D

The Savages from Big 5 are the same as the ones you buy anywhere else. Yes, it will handle a long heavy barrel chambered for a RUM. I've built a couple, as have several others around here.

Good to know guys. Thanks from him and me. He's wanting a big .375rum like what i have in an 700 XCR,i would sell him mind straight over but he's already got his gun ready to go and mine would set him back money right away. He wants to build a nice LRH platform.

I'll relay the message and see what he wants to do. Any pictures or further advice would be also appreciated.

if it's just gonna be a good elk gun, I would not look any further than a .338-06 AI. You get about 85% of the power a .338 mag has with 65% of the felt recoil. What more could one ask for? The Ackley chamber will handle regular .338-06 rounds, and fire form them once fired in the Ackley chamber. Savage is seriously looking at the .338-06 chamber in one of their rifles right now, and even went so far as to run a poll to see what shooters thought about them comming out with one. I'm buying one if they do!

one other thing to think about when going to one of those big fat cases is the thread diameter. Remington and Savage use a similar diameter thread at 1.06, and really you want the bigger thread diameter in the Savage (I don't know if Remington offers a larger barrel shank as well). What about a .358 STW?
gary

Last edited:
Large shank vs. small shank isn't worth worrying about. The OD of the action and barrel nut are the same so there isn't much net difference.

With a small shanks you'll get a thinner barrel wall but thicker action and thicker barrel nut.

With a large shank you'll get a thicker barrel wall but thinner action and thinner barrel nut.

I've never heard of a split small shank barrel nut, but I have heard of split large shank barrel nuts.

I've built a couple 338 Edges, and several WSM's. All of them were on small shanks and run them on the hot side. No signs of problems yet and I don't expect them any time soon.

Large shank vs. small shank isn't worth worrying about. The OD of the action and barrel nut are the same so there isn't much net difference.

With a small shanks you'll get a thinner barrel wall but thicker action and thicker barrel nut.

With a large shank you'll get a thicker barrel wall but thinner action and thinner barrel nut.

I've never heard of a split small shank barrel nut, but I have heard of split large shank barrel nuts.

I've built a couple 338 Edges, and several WSM's. All of them were on small shanks and run them on the hot side. No signs of problems yet and I don't expect them any time soon.

Lilga and some others had a problems with the big fat cases cracking the barrel thread on Remingtons, and for a while wouldn't recommend them. Later gun manufacturers came out with a larger thread diameter to fix this problem
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.