Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

It has been 2 years since I posted to this thread... Killed 3 more deer with the bargain basement Savage 111 6.5-284 since then, and this fall we extended our range out to 300 yards. Taking advantage of several bitter weeks with almost no snow on the ground and regularly -15 F or colder nights to go out in the swamp with a loader and start extending it again, to 500 yards for next Spring.

The 6.5-284 did pick up some accuracy from changing the Hornady 2 die set for a Redding neck size bushing die @ .292".

What it REALLY liked was ditching the flimsy Tupperware *** Savage sent it out the door with and dropping it into a Hogue stock with an Aluminum bedding block. Went in with no modification, tight like a glove and stays free floated no matter how hard a sling brace is taken off hand, or if I shoot off bags with my off hand pressing down firmly on top of scope. Old stock just BENT and touched the barrel as it pleased.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ine-standard-contour-full-bed-synthetic-black

THAT tightened the groups right up. Went from approximate 3/4" three shot groups at 100 yards with a random flier up to 2" away from the promising two holes every other group or so to reliably, repeatedly grouping three rounds under 1" at 200 yards. Didn't yet see a need to rework loads, just adjust scope to new POI...

The used (with dies and 60 rounds of brass) $500 Savage 111 long action trophy hunter package is now down to the original barrel/action. It's wearing $1000 worth of adequate glass and aftermarket stock- And if the flimsy looking but functional magazine and plastic "bottom metal" hold up, I'm going to rebarrel it and go to a 24" if I manage to shoot out the 22" factory barrel. Which I think I will, now that I'm seeing decent results.

Just got some H1000 in the hope of increasing the Lapua brass life.

This is a pretty old thread started in 2013 but I thought it would be interesting to update the status of the same rifle I reported on then, five years and several hundred rounds later. This rifle has been one of three 6.5x284's that I own. It was originally won at a match, but turned out to be quite a good shooter, giving me a new respect for the Savage rifles. With my original load in the LRH of 57gr of Retumbo/Berger Hunting/140VLD/Fed215M, the LRH has produced very consistent performance, has held itsaccurscy, velocity/ES, zero, and has shown no sign of throat erosion. IMO, the slower burning Retumbo appears to be easier on the throat. While my primary hunting rifle has been a Cooper 520 in 6.5x284, I have used the Savage LRH with good success for +1000 yard steel/targets/LR practice. I very recently decided to modify the rifle in order to build a companion to my MPA/Surgeon/Kreiger 6.5x47L used for PRS competition, but in a hunting weight/size. My PRS rifle weighs 15#. I have been intriqued to try a chassis out for LR hunting. I have an MPA Lite Chassis on order(same wt as the OEM LRH stock at 3#), and upgraded the AccuTrigger with the Timney replacement trigger which is a nice improvement, set at 1.75#. The total weigh of this rifle should match the original rifle at 10.5-11#. I will eventually install a drop-in Criterion Match Barrel, but for now I see no advantage over the stock barrel while it's still sound. The ability to easily and inexpensively self-install a replacement barrel when needed is an attractive feature of the Savage Action

The Savage fares well when compared to my other 6.5x284's. Interestingly, it produces best accuracy at a higher velocity with its 24" barrel.
B82A528C-71CB-4990-9A57-C2E576599AA8.jpeg
0DAE8ADB-81CB-4FE6-8431-D4A58B554D17.jpeg
3F0DB8D5-5B98-4B65-AC94-83863D5C3360.jpeg

Like many others I have been playing with this chambering for quite a while. I am on my seventh and I've had nothing but good experiences. For me this chambering is magical for hunting and long range practical competition. I did use one of my rifles for PRS however I have moved to the 243 in favor of low recoil pad a bit better barrel life.

I have also moved to the 147 ELD bullet and reloader 26. I still usually Tumbo in a couple of my rifles but have been quite impressed with 26. So far brass and throat life have not been negatively affected by this powder.

....I have also moved to the 147 ELD bullet and reloader 26. I still usually Tumbo in a couple of my rifles but have been quite impressed with 26. So far brass and throat life have not been negatively affected by this powder.

Have you used R26 with the Berger140's? If so, what charge/primer/velocity? I have some R26 but haven't tried it yet.
Thanks!!!!

With 26 I have stuck with 210m. I got super low es/sd so i felt it was a good primer for the powder. 53-54 seems to be good for the 140's. I tested 140 ELD, 143 ELD, 142 nosler, and of course the 140 Berger. The 140 Berger was 3150 but backed off to 3100 and they shot consistently in the .3's at 700.

With 26 I have stuck with 210m. I got super low es/sd so i felt it was a good primer for the powder. 53-54 seems to be good for the 140's. I tested 140 ELD, 143 ELD, 142 nosler, and of course the 140 Berger. The 140 Berger was 3150 but backed off to 3100 and they shot consistently in the .3's at 700.
Thanks. I'll give it a try!!

Wow! I haven't read this thread in years. My 6.5-284 is still shooting great also.
I just picked up some RL26 for my Creedmoor so I will try it out for this rifle as well. Thanks!
I've been keeping my eye out for a beat up Rem 700 LA to build another 6.5-284 with a remage barrel. Should be fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.