Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

Wow I've been reading through this entire thread great info
I just bought a savage 110 predator 6.5x284 can't wait to try some loads
it did come with 9 full boxes of loaded nosler ammo so I will see how they shoot
I have some h4831sc and retumbo to try with 140gr berger hunting vld
Sounds like these rifles are great shooters I can't wait to get shooting it.
Not sure what scope to put on it thinking vortex with 1/4 Moa clicks or a huskemaw or nightforce shv what do you guys think.

They are all good. I don't have a lot of experience with the Huskemaw but the Vortex Viper is good at the price point, Night Force NXS is awesome if you have a budget for it, Sightron s3 is good too. Good luck.

They are all good. I don't have a lot of experience with the Huskemaw but the Vortex Viper is good at the price point, Night Force NXS is awesome if you have a budget for it, Sightron s3 is good too. Good luck.

Both my 6.5-284's have 5x20 Huskemaws. They have performed superbly over the sat 5 years being every bit as good at long range as my Nightforce NXS's with less bulk and weight. I would recommend them with no hesitation.

Not sure what scope to put on it thinking vortex with 1/4 Moa clicks or a huskemaw or nightforce shv what do you guys think.

I do not have any experience with the Huskemaw scopes so I cannot comment on them. They looked good on display at a couple of shows I went to. I don't know if the 1/3 MOA clicks are better or not. Every scope I have is 1/4 MOA and I'm not a fan of the reticles so I have been hesitant to try one. I do like how easy it is to set the zero stop and the price point.

I do have a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 on my 6.5x284 and I love it for long range work. It is a bit heavy and the lower magnification is too high for walking in thick woods where shots are typically under 150 yards but that isn't what it was designed for. The price point is also high. The SHV looks like a nice scope. I just wish they made a 4-16x44 with a zero stop. I think that would be perfect for a carry rifle. I prefer the MOAR available from NF more than the reticles offered on the other brands.

I also have a Vortex 4-16x44 HS-T and it is a nice scope. I find that the cross-hairs can get lost in low light situations as they are very fine but for $500, it can't be beat. You could step up to the PS-T and get an illuminated reticle. Of course the price almost doubles also. I'm not a big fan of illuminated reticles but that's my personal preference. The shims for the zero stop are nice but I don't like them as much as my NF zero stop. Their scopes go from a 4-16 to a 6-24 magnification. They don't make a 5-20 which seems to be the niche these days.

You just have to figure out what your rifle will be used for.
Are you stationary or moving?
What game are you hunting or are you just target shooting?
What terrain are you hunting and what distance will shots present themselves?
What is your budget?

Any of the three brands you mentioned will do you right as they are quality scopes.
Good luck!

This rifle will be use to shoot steel and coyotes and wolves and go on the occasional hunt around our farm and once my boys get big enough they will use it
I have used the huskemaw before and like it but they are $100th up here and the night force shv is just over $1000 which is the top end of my price range right now and I don't like the 1/2 moa clicks that some of the vortex have
I just can't wait to start shooting this rifle

Do any of you guys shoot the 142gr sierras? And if so what do you recommend for seating depth in regards to the lands? I'm loading at .5 off the lands and getting groups that measure .400. So if I wanted to try improving that grouping should I load closer to the lands or back off a little more?

Do any of you guys shoot the 142gr sierras? And if so what do you recommend for seating depth in regards to the lands? I'm loading at .5 off the lands and getting groups that measure .400. So if I wanted to try improving that grouping should I load closer to the lands or back off a little more?

I did load work with the 142SMK's and found that unlike the VLD style bullets, the SMK's were not responsive to seating depth differences between .010" and .1" . Powder charge and choice made the most difference in accuracy.

image.jpg

Shot this group with my lrh on Tuesday

6.5 140 amax
58.5g retumbo
2930fps

Good job. When it warms up enough to get out I'm going to try some 140 amax. It's -14 air temp right now. Lord knows what this windchill is. Too cold for me anyways.

I was starting to get frustrated with my Weather Warrior. I would get a nice group or two then a flier in the next. I tried Berger's VLD development with no success. I really did not want to seat on the lands due to the long throat(2.233 OAL). After reading this entire thread I decided to try it. This was 53.0 H4831SC touching the lands lit by BR2s and is repeatable(this is actually the larger group with this load). I have since started looking for a load with 142 SMKs. When I get back from my early October pronghorn hunt I might try Retumbo. I just hope this load will put the cold bore shot in the group.

Just as suspected the cold bore shot is out of the group. This load still shoots in the .2s but the cold bore makes it .7s. This is the first rifle I have ever had this issue with. This is also the only rifle I have not bedded. Any suggestions? I am going to try different torque on the stock. Have you guys noticed this on your LRHs? What accustock torque are you running? This is a new rifle without the wedge. I also think I will start working on a Retumbo load. Maybe I should just start a new thread? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts