Savage 111 LRH 338 Lapua

Eventually, you'll have to change out the barrel, because you'll shoot the lands out, predicted 2000 rounds but will all depend on how 'hot' the load, your cleaning regimen and your initial break in procedure and yes, the barrel is attached to the receiver in the usual Savage way... Screwed in with a barrel nut.

Mine is pushing 11+ pounds with scope (Vortex Vioer PST), Warne Maxima Rings, nylon sling and 3 rounds in the magazine, 1 in the action. Not light.

Conversely, the 11-111 LWH I just got in .308 WSM (got a 7-08 for the wife) weighs 5.5 bare. Lightweight scope (less than 1 pound), light sling, light ring, rail combo (Talley one piece ring/base combo 4 ozs) and 3 rounds in the magazine, 1 in the action should be about 4 pounds lighter.

4 pounds is a lot of weight for an over 60 flatlander east of the Big Muddy hunting our west. Maybe not for a young buck, but for me, it is. My other issue with the .338-111LRH is barrel length. The firearm is too long to carry vertically, on your shoulder or in an E'stock rifle carrier, it sticks up way too high for woods walking and catches every branch, but then, it's not a woods rifle. Don't get me wrong, I love the power and the accuracy and just the way the firearm 'feels'. It's a hoot, just a PITA. Sort of like a hot blonde. Put some masking tape over her mouth and you are good to go......:)

Neither the 308 nor the 7-08 are a 338 LM but they don't weigh what a 338 LM does either..... however, both are just fine to 400 plus yards, which makes them ideal for un here where long range shots are rare, factory loads (especially 308 WSM) are cheap, plentiful and come in a wide variety of bullets, weights and configurations, no that I won't handload 308's or 7-08's because I will but, it's nice to have that option readily available.

There are some issues with 338 brass that have been discussed here (and elsewhere) and personally, I have had issues with PPU. IMO, genuine Lapua brass is the only way to go, no exceptions and genuine Lapua brass in a hundred quantity costs close to what a hundred loaded 308's or 7-08's cost, just comparing apples to apples....

I like to shoot but I don't like to open my wallet and have the money come flying out because I am....retired...

Probably why I like .22 indoor target and rimfire benchrest. It's fun, inexpensive and..... when you remove the felt recoil, accuracy becomes the difference between the bull and the 9 ring, indoor, an how may bulls you get (nines dont count) benchrest. It's not the size of the hole in the paper, it's the location of the hole.....

I am reloading H1000. Anyone hit any good loads with the 250 gr SMK?

I just aquired a Savage 111/338LM and have loaded and tested 225 Barnes TTSX seated .025 off the lands with retumbo. Chronoed with my most accurate load at 3116fps SD 9 and three shots touch at 100 Meters. This will be my Big game load which is overkill for anything I hunt here in Minnesota, but so what.

I want to work up some loads with 250 Grn Hornady HPBT Match bullets and I'm wondering if anyone can advise how far off the lands I should start testing?

I just aquired a Savage 111/338LM and have loaded and tested 225 Barnes TTSX seated .025 off the lands with retumbo. Chronoed with my most accurate load at 3116fps SD 9 and three shots touch at 100 Meters. This will be my Big game load which is overkill for anything I hunt here in Minnesota, but so what.

I want to work up some loads with 250 Grn Hornady HPBT Match bullets and I'm wondering if anyone can advise how far off the lands I should start testing?

I love mine and hold 8-10" groups at 1000 yards in my test yesterday with 0-15 mph gusting winds. I use berger 300 gr hybrids. w/ 90.5 gr of Vihtavuori N570. CCI mag primers. It shoots 2700 FPS. Love this rifle. Also I tried 250 gr hornady hpbt and loaded from 3000-3130 fps and the rifle shot horrible. Does anyone have any answers for that.

Best load i have found so far is 300gr berger hybrid. 90.5grs vihta vuori n570 and cci mag primers for a speed of about 2725fps. I have loaded a little hotter but the cases get a little sticky. Oh and i have nosler cases and wish i lapua brass.

I love mine and hold 8-10" groups at 1000 yards in my test yesterday with 0-15 mph gusting winds. I use berger 300 gr hybrids. w/ 90.5 gr of Vihtavuori N570. CCI mag primers. It shoots 2700 FPS. Love this rifle. Also I tried 250 gr hornady hpbt and loaded from 3000-3130 fps and the rifle shot horrible. Does anyone have any answers for that.

Notmally, Hornady components are good. In this case Hornady missd the mark entirely with quality components, th brass sucks too. Even wors than PPU which is bad. Stick with anything other than Hornady or PPU.

Best load i have found so far is 300gr berger hybrid. 90.5grs vihta vuori n570 and cci mag primers for a speed of about 2725fps. I have loaded a little hotter but the cases get a little sticky. Oh and i have nosler cases and wish i lapua brass.

If you want Lapua Brass in the end game, order preloaded HSM 338 rounds in Lapua brass. Good factory loads in th best cases available. I like my 111 as well. Problem is, it's heavy, not a pack gun for average hunters.

In case you dont recall, I have had issues with hornady brass becoming stuck inside my chamber after firing and even a very stiff bolt with lapua brass. It seems a lot of people have been having the same issue. Once I had separation occur of the brass from the lower primer portion, I decided I was done shooting the rifle until the issue was resolved. Separation is when the fired brass splits into two pieces inside the chamber. Its hard to explain. Basically, after I fired a round ....I pulled the bolt back to reveal TWO pieces of brass.

Its been a while since I posted on the subject because I wanted to get to the bottom of this before I said anything. The rifle's accuracy is not something I can complain about. It seems to shoot fine, but is a nightmare when it comes to ejecting brass, etc.

My friend who taught me a lot about shooting still has many friends that he met throughout scout sniper school. One of those is a gunsmith who builts custom rifles. After I showed my friend the problems I was having with my LRH111, he wanted to take it to the gunsmith he knows.

The gunsmith that he sent my rifle off to did some basic tests first to see if it was a head-spacing issue. After looking at some of my fired brass he was afraid the rifle might be over chambered. So he sent it off to his friend to have it air mikd on his own equipment.

Anyhow, I was told the following:
(I may not be repeating it correctly so bear with me)

The gun smith said the air miked results show that is it over chambered in shoulder length by .003 (three-thousandths) of an inch. This is making the brass slap up against the chamber when fired and stretching the brass much more than normal. No wonder I was trimming it all the freaking time. The tests ALSO show that it is "out of round" inside the chamber. So bad news on two major issues.

There is no way the gunsmith can fix anything like that obviously, so it is fixing to go back to Savage. The gunsmith supposedly has contacts at Savage and is going to call them up to explain the situation and provide all the results that I need. I dont see how they can "fix" an issue like that without replacing the entire chamber. I have not even fired over 200 rounds through the barrel so its pretty new.

I will follow up with another post once I hear back from Savage. I plan on mailing it to them sometime next week.

Old thread i know. But after reading this i need to tell you that things have changed. First box of rounds i bought was ppu and they was working well still use the brass 3-5 reloads on all of them with no problem and some of them have been very hot with 300gr scenar.

After some problems with my savage 111 under waranty i got a free box of hornady hunting ammo and have had no problem at all.

But i can tell you that ppu is only around 1-1.5 moa on the other hand we are talking about my first 20 shots with a new gun.
(Savage 111 in 338 lm costs 1700€ in finland)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.