Savage 111 long range hunter

297joshua

I posted a week or two ago about this gun and thought I had everything worked out, I guess not. I loaded 25 shells for the gun last night, today when I tried them in the rifle for fit the bolt was a little tight. When I ejected the shell the bullet was rubbed on one side. I tried three shells and got the same result. Is this a reloading issue or is it a chamber issue? I've had a hell of a time getting it to shoot. I will take it to a gunsmith tomorrow but for now I'm looking for some info as to why this would happen. I thought that I prepped my brass as well as could, but maybe not?

I believe when you resized the shoulder didn't get bumped back far enough. I would try resizing a couple more pieces of brass and trying them in gun before you take it to anybody. You have to turn your die in the press a little farther to bump the shoulder back more. Maybe somebody else will chime in but that's my guess.

Justin

First thing, buy yourself some factory ammo! See how it shoots, save yourself some money, and save your rifle.....

Then you have a starting point for the rest:

Are you sure you know your headspace?

Use your fired factory brass to-- compare a fired brass to one of your loaded rounds (measurement)....do you have a bump gauge?

Does the unfired round chamber ok, what about the fired brass?

You should also post the load specifics....

However without knowing your brass prep, your OAL, chamber/round, neck seating tension, etc. it's really hard to say.

Again, you can eliminate a lot of variables by buying some factory ammo.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.