Savage 111 Long Range Hunter 300 Win Mag

7mmRemMag

Does anyone have this rig? I just ordered one and should be getting it this week. I'm planning on shooting 180gr Nosler Accubonds through it as I do with my other rifles in Rem 700 that seem to like that load. I'd like some feed back if you all have any on the Savage 111 LRH in 300 Win Mag...I'm excited about stretching it out to 1,000 or maybe a little further in the future. gun)

I can't say on the 300 win ,but I have messed with more than one svage and you ought to have a nice rifle that is capable of great accuracy beyond 1000... in the right hands and with the right load. To get the best out of it ballistically you might want to look into the super high bc bullets offered by berger or hornady in an amax otherwise it is like putting the cheap gas in your ferrari it'll get you from point a to point b but not as well as it could.

If you use the search function you ought to be able to find miles of info on good 300 win loads

I would like to make 1 suggestion, Instead of the 180 accubond try the 200 grain AB, my buddys savage in 300 win really came to life when I loaded the 200 grainers! I was shooting the 190 bergers out of mine @ the time and when I looked at the charts comparing the 2 the 200 grainer was passing my 190 at 670 yds and carrying a bunch more energy at extended ranges.

I can't say on the 300 win ,but I have messed with more than one svage and you ought to have a nice rifle that is capable of great accuracy beyond 1000... in the right hands and with the right load. To get the best out of it ballistically you might want to look into the super high bc bullets offered by berger or hornady in an amax otherwise it is like putting the cheap gas in your ferrari it'll get you from point a to point b but not as well as it could.

If you use the search function you ought to be able to find miles of info on good 300 win loads

I have an Edge/Axis .223, a model 10 .22-250, and a model 11 300wsm. Even though every one of them were inexpensive they are all excellent shooters! My first Savage that is in the mid- to upper price range so I'm looking forward to it!

I would like to make 1 suggestion, Instead of the 180 accubond try the 200 grain AB, my buddys savage in 300 win really came to life when I loaded the 200 grainers! I was shooting the 190 bergers out of mine @ the time and when I looked at the charts comparing the 2 the 200 grainer was passing my 190 at 670 yds and carrying a bunch more energy at extended ranges.

When I had a 300wby Mag I loaded the 200gr Accubond for it. I never stretched them out to long range but they worked well. I think I'm going to give them a shot for this one! I have a custom turret for a 300 win mag 180gr Accubond and a 26" tube for a rifle I just sold, I was hoping they'd chrono very similar to use it, and two that it'd group well with the loads I already have. But 200gr will be an option if I can't make them work.

What scope are you putting on it? I have a couple savage rifles,a116 in 300 win sporting a blueprinted action,26" criterion lite varmint contour, shooting the 197 gn Botw vld @3031 fps, this thing is a tack driver, dumped a backcountry mule deer @1185 yds this last September. Then I have a model 11 that started life as a 300 wsm but is now a 6.5 wsm, it also is blueprinted, 26" cbi barrel setting in a medalist stock, the 140 gn Berger is leaving the muzzle @3297 this bugger is fast, flat, and very accurate! You just can't go wrong with a savage!

What scope are you putting on it? I have a couple savage rifles,a116 in 300 win sporting a blueprinted action,26" criterion lite varmint contour, shooting the 197 gn Botw vld @3031 fps, this thing is a tack driver, dumped a backcountry mule deer @1185 yds this last September. Then I have a model 11 that started life as a 300 wsm but is now a 6.5 wsm, it also is blueprinted, 26" cbi barrel setting in a medalist stock, the 140 gn Berger is leaving the muzzle @3297 this bugger is fast, flat, and very accurate! You just can't go wrong with a savage!

Nice! Sounds like you got some sweet shooting savage rigs! The glass I have right now is a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40 I have another one just like it on a Remington 700 SPS SS chambered in .300 Win Mag. I sent it for a brake then through a choate tactical fully bedded stock and have been hitting the steel at 1100 yards. So I think that scope will do for starters. Just got married so I really got to watch what I spend now. Lol

I bought the 111 LRH in 7mm Rem Mag last spring. I topped it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, spent the summer developing drop data with 168 gr Bergers at 3080 fps, and had a custom turret on it by fall. I couldn't be happier with it and expect the 300 Win Mag will perform excellent as well. I shot an elk at 225 yds, two pronghorns at 400+, my buddy shot a prongorn at 485, and another buddy heart shot a cow elk at 600 with it. I really like the muzzle brake too as the recoil is cut in half which allowed me to shoot it a lot and develop really good drop tables. Those things together gave me high confidence! I bought lots of components before the "craziness" started and hope to develop my skills out to 800 this summer. Good luck and keep us posted!

I bought the 111 LRH in 7mm Rem Mag last spring. I topped it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, spent the summer developing drop data with 168 gr Bergers at 3080 fps, and had a custom turret on it by fall. I couldn't be happier with it and expect the 300 Win Mag will perform excellent as well. I shot an elk at 225 yds, two pronghorns at 400+, my buddy shot a prongorn at 485, and another buddy heart shot a cow elk at 600 with it. I really like the muzzle brake too as the recoil is cut in half which allowed me to shoot it a lot and develop really good drop tables. Those things together gave me high confidence! I bought lots of components before the "craziness" started and hope to develop my skills out to 800 this summer. Good luck and keep us posted!

That's good to hear! I love the 7mm Rem Mag caliber myself. I got one in Rem 700 and another in a Browning A-Bolt. In my opinion it's one of the best cartridges out there. I shoot 160gr Nosler Accubonds out of mine my longest kill so far was on a whitetail this past season at 700 yards. I ran out of elevation on the turret at 800yrds with it. I'm hoping to push the 300 Win beyond that. With all the positive feedback on the Savage 111 I'm really hoping it ships out by tomorrow so I can get it next week :D

Depending on where ya look the price for one is reasonable.
After looking at a couple not crazy about the stock n cheek piece. But that can be replaced found several for about 799.00 lmo that not to bad of a price.

Depending on where ya look the price for one is reasonable.
After looking at a couple not crazy about the stock n cheek piece. But that can be replaced found several for about 799.00 lmo that not to bad of a price.

Yes I found one online at budsgunshop.com for $804 I'm with you on the cheek piece, the stock is supposedly pretty good being aluminum bedded but I've never actually used one so idk. And I heard the brake on it is decent.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.