savage 111 long range 300 win mag-next rifle?

smokin502

I found a savage 111 long range hunter in 300 win mag for under 800 new in box. Now I can't decide if I should buy it or not. I need some help. It's not for hunting really, I just want to start shooting long distance 1100m and beyond. Is this the right gun and is that the right caliber. I've been doing so much research that it is all just a blur...

P.S. I don't reload (not yet)

The Savage 111 long range is a nice rifle, and the 300 win mag is a good all around caliber.
If you are happy with the price, go for it. After all what do you have to lose?
If you dont like it you can sell it or use it as trading stock.
I am a bit puzzled at the lack of reply's.
Give it time, someone with a lot more nowledge should chime in.

Is the price only god for the 300 win mag? I know that comes in other calibers, which might be easier on the shoulder. Even cheaper to shoot if that's an issue. In that rifle, it's hard to beat the 6.5x284 or the 260 for long range and performance.

My son-in-law has that exact rifle, it's a nice package and a good caliber. I haven't shot much factory ammo in the .300WM and none of the premium stuff but I'm betting you will need ammo tailored specifically to your rifle to do any good at 1100 meters, that's a pretty long poke.

The SIL's rifle has never had a factory round fired in it and had been sub moa from the first group. He is shooting 180 grain Accubonds and H1000 powder.

Bob

I bought the rifle and now I learning about reloading. I'm getting the tools needed
to reload. Didn't realize how much went into the process. Seems like
It's going to be fun at that.

I bought the rifle and now I learning about reloading. I'm getting the tools needed
to reload. Didn't realize how much went into the process. Seems like
It's going to be fun at that.

Congrats, good choice! Reloading is a great hobby on its own. Make sure to read all the boring stuff in the front of the reloading manual, that is where they explain how to keep from blowing yourself up :)

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.