Savage 111 7 rem mag???

bowhntr04

Just purchased this rifle new. Previous rifles have been pretty lever guns with nice walnut stocks and a Ruger in 270 win with a nice walnut stock. Wanting to extend my range on KS whitetails, i made this impulsive purchase on Gunbroker. I guess i'm into pretty rifles and this gun just seems lifeless to me. It does have the accutrigger which pulls awesome right out of box, but the hardwood stock is cheesy. Also, the internal magazine has plastic which concerns me. i know i can replace the stock, but would i be better off trading up before shooting this gun? What kind of money am i looking at for a decent composite or walnut stock for this rifle? Would this be like putting jewlry on a pig? I should probably just get over it, scope it, and enjoy. Thanks for any input. It's a 111G.

You can get a good stock from several places.

Stockade makes great Savage stocks. B&C stocks are very good too, you can get them from Midway or Stocky's.

The follower is the only thing I can think of that is plastic. I've never had a problem with one, nor have I heard of anyone else.

Yeah, the followers are all plastic, but it is pretty sturdy. It would take a pretty good freak thing to happen for it to snap. Stockysstocks.com has some really nice laminate and hardwood stocks that will fit the Savage action. If you want to stay with composite, then go with Stockade or Bell and Carlson. There are some pretty expensive stocks out there if you really want to do it. PDC makes an aluminum chassis and McMillian will make a stock to fit your rifle. You could also opt to use the rifle as a beater rifle, then you don't have to worry about looks, but will be a real shooter. So go for the gusto and stock it, or shoot it. To upgrade, most of them can be done by you if you have any mechanical ability. No need to trade up, unless you are wanting the target action or one of the BA 10/110 mil spec/LEO models.

Tank

Really interested in the Bell and Carlson as they're in Dodge City, KS. Current stock is the walnut stained hardwood. Thanks for the replies.

Thinking i will. 7 rem mag should do everything i need and will certainly be better than the guy shooting it, trigger is nice, who cares what the stock looks like. Appears to be plenty of stock options available. Action of this gun seems pretty solid and should survive many hunting seasons and trips to the range. Got tired of watching deer on the other side while holding a 30-30. Thanks again for the replies.

Thinking i will. 7 rem mag should do everything i need and will certainly be better than the guy shooting it, trigger is nice, who cares what the stock looks like. Appears to be plenty of stock options available. Action of this gun seems pretty solid and should survive many hunting seasons and trips to the range. Got tired of watching deer on the other side while holding a 30-30. Thanks again for the replies.

Just make sure the barrel is free floated well.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.