Savage 110BA Scope Base Options

Larry87

Hello All, I finally have decided to pull the trigger on a scope for my 110BA chamber in .338 LM. It's been a long awaited time but now have the means and no other distractions for me to spend the money on. I have my mind set on a Vortex Razor HD 5-20X50 in the EBR-2B. My question is I really want to get rid of the factory scope base, just dont need the extra rails, I am looking at Ken Farrell's bases and was wondering if a 30MOA base would be overkill and just stick with a 20MOA base since the scope provides 125MOA of elevation. My only concern and the reason for asking what may seem like a stupid question is zeroing the rifle at 100 yards with the 30MOA base. Thanks for any help.

I put Ken Farrel's 40 MOA base on my 110 BA... and I love it. I didn't much care for the Buzz Lightyear factory rail either... rough on the hands, and unnecessary dead weight. And I couldn't dial out to a mile with only 20 MOA...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/installed-farrel-40-moa-base-my-110ba-91664/

One advantage to going higher up in slant is with some scopes, you can't accidentally dial a revolution too low, and get lost as to where your 100 yard zero is. (But with the scope you're considering, with 125 MOA of travel, it will likely still dial more than a rev below your 100 yard zero)...

I have a Leupold Mk4 E/RT (8.5-25x) on my 110BA, and with the 40 MOA Farrel base it will only dial about 2 MOA under my 100 yard zero. My friend has the FCP (also in 338 LM) and he got the same 40 MOA base, and his 100 yard zero is also only an MOA or two from rock bottom. And both rifles dial fine to and from there...

I'd go with the 40 MOA base. At some future point, you may end up with another scope on that rifle without as much elevation travel...

You'll want to go with Lapua brass... and Retumbo has been the best powder in our experience. 89.3 grains of Retumbo with Sierra's 300 grain Matchkings (when you can find them!) is an amazing combo... try it, and you'll likely want no other load. :)

Dan

I put Ken Farrel's 40 MOA base on my 110 BA... and I love it. I didn't much care for the Buzz Lightyear factory rail either... rough on the hands, and unnecessary dead weight. And I couldn't dial out to a mile with only 20 MOA...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/installed-farrel-40-moa-base-my-110ba-91664/

One advantage to going higher up in slant is with some scopes, you can't accidentally dial a revolution too low, and get lost as to where your 100 yard zero is. (But with the scope you're considering, with 125 MOA of travel, it will likely still dial more than a rev below your 100 yard zero)...

I have a Leupold Mk4 E/RT (8.5-25x) on my 110BA, and with the 40 MOA Farrel base it will only dial about 2 MOA under my 100 yard zero. My friend has the FCP (also in 338 LM) and he got the same 40 MOA base, and his 100 yard zero is also only an MOA or two from rock bottom. And both rifles dial fine to and from there...

I'd go with the 40 MOA base. At some future point, you may end up with another scope on that rifle without as much elevation travel...

You'll want to go with Lapua brass... and Retumbo has been the best powder in our experience. 89.3 grains of Retumbo with Sierra's 300 grain Matchkings (when you can find them!) is an amazing combo... try it, and you'll likely want no other load. :)

Dan

Thanks Dan, I am going to go with the 40MOA and hope that I get a lot more up elevation out of the scope and not waste it on a smaller base. I have had my rifle for almost two years now and have sent about 10 rounds down the tube (just to see the recoil and start breaking it in). I have been preoccupied with rebuilding a car and upgrading my truck so thats why it has taken so long to get a scope. I bought 100 pieces of Lapua brass, 250gr match kings, and 100 300gr bergers waiting for me plus some H1000. I have been chomping on the bit to fire this thing but I get distracted easy and money flows to the newest distraction.

I got a pretty good price for the Razor lined up just got wait for them to get off of backorder. Hoepfully soon I will finally shoot this beast and get some great results. Thanks for your help.

-Larry

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.