Savage 110BA .338 Lapua

slowshot

Had my chamber polished so it would eject cases. That went well but @ 300 yds. (which rifle and scope were zerod in at) I had to adjust scope 7.5 MOA down & 5.5 MOA right. Would somebody give me some feedback on maybe the barrel nut being over torqued ( nut & lug being stock) or is it just Murphy........

Had my chamber polished so it would eject cases. That went well but @ 300 yds. (which rifle and scope were zerod in at) I had to adjust scope 7.5 MOA down & 5.5 MOA right. Would somebody give me some feedback on maybe the barrel nut being over torqued ( nut & lug being stock) or is it just Murphy........

Zero will move whenever you remove and install a barrel. That does seem like more than I usually get.

Eject cases, or extract cases? Did you have a gunsmith do the polish? Did he check primary extraction? All of my later model Savages have weak PE. It comes from a change in the PE ramp cast in the bolt handle.

Polished chamber puts more load on the lugs and abutments.

I guess I useded the wrong word! Had the same problem alot of 110BA shooters have had, would not extract cases. Had to beat the bolt open by hand and with some had to beat them out with a rod. Already talked to Jim @ NSS about new nut and lug and will probable go that route. It blew my mind that it was shooting 23in. high and 17in. left. The rifle has been a good shooter with .750 groups @ 300yds. so I think you can understand me scratching my bald head about this..........gun)---------

I've swapped a ton of Savage barrels and don't remember one ever moving that far away from zero.

I've read a lot about the poor extraction with a lot of people saying that they will only digest Lapua brass. Everything else sticks. It got me thinking that primary extraction might help the problem. Easy to check and fix without permanent modification.

If you are having to beat the bolt open you really should make sure it's not an overpressure situation. By polishing the chamber, the case doesn't grip as well during firing and transfers that load back to the bolt lugs, as stated above. It can also be caused from the case itself. If the shoulder isn't bumped back or the neck is allowed to grow, the cam action of the bolt will cause the case to become stuck. Firing the round won't help the matter either, and if it was the neck being too long, dangerous pressure spikes could happen. A tight chamber could also give you some hassles. I would recommend to be thorough in the troubleshooting before jumping into any "fixes".

I am also experiencing the exact same issue with my 110BA in 338 lapua. I talked with the local gun shop as they carry and have sold a lot of these rifles.

I asked them. have you guys had any issues with this rifle extracting spent rounds.

his reply. only if you are using Hornady ammo as the brass is softer then most and will expand more in the chamber.

this is shooting factory 338 Lapua 285 GR BTHP MATCH ammo.

I have orders some other brands of ammo to test them, but have not received them yet.

the problem mainly happens as the gun warms up. cold bore I never really have the issue. its usually the 2nd or 3rd shot of a 3 shot group.

so in my opinion the issue is a combo of case expansion along with chamber expansion.

just some info I have gathered.

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.