SAVAGE 110 ULTRALITE WITH A PROOF RESEARCH BARREL

SAVAGE 110 ULTRALITE WITH A PROOF RESEARCH BARREL

By John Johnston

At the 2020 Shooting Hunting Outdoor Show, Savage Arms unveiled their latest hunting rifle, the 110 Ultralite. Savage and Proof Research joined up to make a light weight hunting rifle with a carbon wrapped barrel for hunting. It turns out that this is one of the first of the major companies to install carbon wrapped barrels on their rifles besides Proof Research and Christensen Arms.

I think it was a genius move by Savage, as carbon fiber barrels are getting so popular. I just did my first custom build and did a HCA carbon hunter barrel. I can't say it's any different as far as heating up or heat dissipation goes. But it's definitely a lot lighter than it would be if it was all
Steel! I haven't shot enough to say anything for
Barrel life differences but would love to see if other people on here have experiences with barrel life on carbons vs all steel!!!

Ken

It's definitely a rifle thats on my list for backpacking and suppressor use.

Very light weight and the barrel is still stiff enough to support the suppressor well.

As far as value goes, you're getting a complete rifle, with a factory blueprinted action, for about $300 more than just buying a proof prefit. Seems like a great dollar to value ratio

I'm a savage rifle user and lover, like said above the skeletonized melonite coated, blueprinted action with a fluted bolt, and a proof barrel is worth the money it costs for the entire rifle. Would bed the stock and start load work :) current times make buying one impossible, but it would sure be my gotta have rifle to finish off my savage collection. Savage should be commended for putting a rifle like this on the market.

To answer your question Len........looks - stiffness - weight savings - and accuracy :)

Last edited:
I'm currently deciding on a rifle purchase, one my wife and I can both use. The 110 ultralight 6.5 prc is on the short list along with a Tikka Superlite in 6.5 CM, a Savage 110 Storm lightweight in 7-08 and a Tikka Lite Veil Wideland in 6.5 CM. My concerns with the Ultralight are if the carbon fiber barrels can take a ding without chipping or fracturing. I'm really hoping folks here can attest to this and give some insight to the 110 Ultralight as a whole.

I'm currently deciding on a rifle purchase, one my wife and I can both use. The 110 ultralight 6.5 prc is on the short list along with a Tikka Superlite in 6.5 CM, a Savage 110 Storm lightweight in 7-08 and a Tikka Lite Veil Wideland in 6.5 CM. My concerns with the Ultralight are if the carbon fiber barrels can take a ding without chipping or fracturing. I'm really hoping folks here can attest to this and give some insight to the 110 Ultralight as a whole.

Check this out:
About half way through the video he unscrews the barrel, destroys a cement block with it, screws it back on and goes back to shooting in the same group lol

Recently I purchased a ultralight in 280ai for my kids. My oldest is 10 and adjusting the length of pull and cheek rise it fits him perfectly. I had a t2 terminator brake I threaded on and made a spacer for timing. Gun has hardly any recoil now. Muzzle blast is bad though with the 22" barrel. I'll be getting a suppressor this year for them. My 10yr old and 8 yr old enjoy shooting it. I'm still in load development stages but have shot several 1/2 Moa groups so far. For the price Savage did a great job in my opinion. I'll post some more info on it as I record more data.

I have been thinking about one of these for my daughter too. I have been thinking the 6.5prc then just loading back till they get older. My daughter is 10 also.

I'm blown away by the weight of the Savage 110 ultralight. At 5.85 lbs, that literally amazes me. I'm building a lightweight rifle around a CFW barrel and lightweight stock. Action has been ported on both sides to reduce weight. The bolt body has been fluted and the bolt handle has been skeletonized. My rifle comes in at around 7.5-8.0 lbs before scoping it. Being Savage went in together to design the barrel contour for that rifle, I have to believe it's more of a magnum sporter contour than a sendero contour. At 6.0lbs, either that is the case and or stock is significantly lighter than the typical Savage tupperware stocks. Either way, this new Savage lightweight at it's price point makes it really tough NOT to buy one. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger is because I wanted a .25 caliber cartridge. I'm sure once I finish my build, Savage will offer it in a .257 of some kind.

I'm blown away by the weight of the Savage 110 ultralight. At 5.85 lbs, that literally amazes me. I'm building a lightweight rifle around a CFW barrel and lightweight stock. Action has been ported on both sides to reduce weight. The bolt body has been fluted and the bolt handle has been skeletonized. My rifle comes in at around 7.5-8.0 lbs before scoping it. Being Savage went in together to design the barrel contour for that rifle, I have to believe it's more of a magnum sporter contour than a sendero contour. At 6.0lbs, either that is the case and or stock is significantly lighter than the typical Savage tupperware stocks. Either way, this new Savage lightweight at it's price point makes it really tough NOT to buy one. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger is because I wanted a .25 caliber cartridge. I'm sure once I finish my build, Savage will offer it in a .257 of some kind.

The barrel profile is quite a bit slimmer than the Proof Sendero profile. I handled two of these rifles the other day at a local sporting goods store and was so impressed that I immediately considered selling my custom 6.5CM I built last year so I could pick one of these up in 6.5 PRC, and maybe a Tikka Varmint in 6.5 CM. The Savage felt really nice in hand. I've had my eye set on a Kimber Montana, but the Savage is making me take another look.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.