SAVAGE 110 ULTRALITE WITH A PROOF RESEARCH BARREL

The barrel profile is quite a bit slimmer than the Proof Sendero profile. I handled two of these rifles the other day at a local sporting goods store and was so impressed that I immediately considered selling my custom 6.5CM I built last year so I could pick one of these up in 6.5 PRC, and maybe a Tikka Varmint in 6.5 CM. The Savage felt really nice in hand. I've had my eye set on a Kimber Montana, but the Savage is making me take another look.
Kinda figured. The website shows the barrel pretty clearly. Looks to taper rather fast from breech to muzzle. Guessing that's some of the reason for the reduced weight. Looks like the action has some weight reduction from some machining on the sides.

Kinda figured. The website shows the barrel pretty clearly. Looks to taper rather fast from breech to muzzle. Guessing that's some of the reason for the reduced weight. Looks like the action has some weight reduction from some machining on the sides.

Action is milled as well as the bolt and bolt handle

Action is milled as well as the bolt and bolt handle
I did see the fluted bolt and handle milling. Gotta be the stock is also very light. Tough to believe the barrel and action can be a full 2 lbs lighter than what I'm using for my build. If the stock is .75 lbs lighter than mine, I can see the barrel being over a pound lighter with the contour they used. If the rifle is set up with a blind magazine, that's an additional weight savings.

@VLD Pilot
The stocks on the ultralite are not the standard accufit stocks. From what I've been able to tell, they don't have the accustock type aluminum bedding block, but I think they do have pillars. They also seem to have a plastic dbm like what the axis use.

Not sure on any other differences though.

I would guess that it has about 10ci of aluminum in the typical stock so taking that out would reduce weight by about 1lb

@VLD Pilot
The stocks on the ultralite are not the standard accufit stocks. From what I've been able to tell, they don't have the accustock type aluminum bedding block, but I think they do have pillars. They also seem to have a plastic dbm like what the axis use.

Not sure on any other differences though.

I would guess that it has about 10ci of aluminum in the typical stock so taking that out would reduce weight by about 1lb
Thanks for the update. That does make quite a difference. Explains a great deal of weight reduction.

I will confirm the amazing accuracy, handling and function of these. I was specifically looking for one in .308 and was lucky to find one. Mounted up scope rings and bore sighted. Shot two at 50 yards and took a walk. What the heck...? only one hole. Took me more time to realize what happened than type all this that they were together lol. Two more at 50 with scope adjustment same deal. out to 100 yards and two touching, Perfect! Into the woods and very nice carrying rifle. Will get used to the safety like my old tanger ruger but has a spot to unlock the bolt to unload. Nice!! Never was a huge fan of clips but it is super easy to be safe and underloaded or completely empty if jumping in the truck. My new favorite for sure. Now to find one in .280 AI of '06

Well lightened action and of course lighter short barrel, the stock is my concern. The bedding block helps stiffen the forend but without it the pillars can be bedded around but will the stock move towards the barrel when pressed on? That would be a stock change for sure to something more rigid. What do owners think?

If you grip the barrel and front together and give it a good squeeze it does flex. Even resting on sand bags or a bipod couldn't give enough to make it touch. The only downfall I have discovered is I hear it a little when busting through brush...

but will the stock move towards the barrel when pressed on? That would be a stock change for sure to something more rigid. What do owners think?

I don't own one of these, but I've had enough savage Tupperware stocks to realize that this issue is severely over emphasized. All of mine have shot great no matter how they were supported.

On a very heavy barreled rifle, with a bipod at the very tip of the forearm you might start to have issues, or if you're really twisting your support hand hard (but who does that?) maybe.

The reality is that if you've got that heavy of a barrel it's not going to be in a Tupperware stock. And even if your barrel touches or is close, a little bit of sand paper on a dowl fixes it.

On a gun with a barrel this light I can't ever see it being a problem, and if it is... Grab some sandpaper and spend 15 min making sure it has clearance

I've had enough tupperware stocks to know I don't want any that the forend moves on. Got at least 1/2 dozen that lay in the attic free to a good home :) If it doesn't bother you good, it does me. I have bought heavy barreled savage 12fv's that did have the flimsy stock as well. Its no big deal to me if the ultra lites have that problem it just means a new stock purchase for me to own one.

I'm actually asking the question of those that own one....not someone that hasn't owned one or checked one like me and apparently you XSIVSPD. Thanks so much for your opinion, shame its nothing like mine. I see someone who owns one like adk hunter responded Thank You sir. Guess it would mean something different in a stock for me.

Last edited:
@Savage 12BVSS if you look towards the end of the long thread about these rifles you'll see pictures and have owner experiences. You might do better asking there. There are pictures of the inside of the stock, the action, the dbm and also owner experience all in the last few pages of the thread.

I've looked at one, and for the money you are getting an exceptional barrel, $200 action, and $100 stock. I'm a savage fan and would love if they would sell me just the barrel for $500 to put on my own savage.

I've looked at one, and for the money you are getting an exceptional barrel, $200 action, and $100 stock. I'm a savage fan and would love if they would sell me just the barrel for $500 to put on my own savage.
I agree. That contour would be a great addition to their prefit lineup.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.