Savage 110 Reliable? Weaknesses?

Hi fellas,

I just acquired a Savage 110 Tactical in 300 Win and was considering this rifle for a possible Alaska trip but I am not real familiar with Savage. I saw on another forum folks questioning the reliability of the 110 for competition shooting so I began to wonder if it it's a great choice for out of state hunts where I cannot just run back home for another rifle or easily pack an extra. What experiences good or bad have you all had? What should I upgrade if anything?

Thank you for your time.
Bob
Hey Bob how would you compare the smoothness of the Tactical verse say a Remington? How stiff is the stock and what material is the detachable mag system on your rifle? My understanding is it accepts AICS mags which is a nice option. Bass Pro Shops had a sale on them recently.

I have three in the stable now but have had many over the years in various configurations. ALL have been extremely accurate and dependable. I have shot them in local competitions and informal shooting competitions with friends. I use them for varmint and deer hunting and have installed barrels, muzzle brakes and aftermarket triggers on most of them.
The only, and I mean only, failure was my fault. I broke the ejector in a .300WinMag 112BVSS shooting high pressure loads (208gn ELD-M's @ 3100+fps) on a hot, humid summer day. I'm still using and shooting the rifle as is. It's a single shot so no big deal getting the case out. It extracts fine. In fact I dropped it this year from the deer blind! 15-18'! Right out the window of the box blind. I just knew it was ruined. It knocked the scope (Vortex Strike Eagle) off about 10" but otherwise the rifle is good. I'm going to send the scope back to Vortex and have them give it a once over.

I have three in the stable now but have had many over the years in various configurations. ALL have been extremely accurate and dependable. I have shot them in local competitions and informal shooting competitions with friends. I use them for varmint and deer hunting and have installed barrels, muzzle brakes and aftermarket triggers on most of them.
The only, and I mean only, failure was my fault. I broke the ejector in a .300WinMag 112BVSS shooting high pressure loads (208gn ELD-M's @ 3100+fps) on a hot, humid summer day. I'm still using and shooting the rifle as is. It's a single shot so no big deal getting the case out. It extracts fine. In fact I dropped it this year from the deer blind! 15-18'! Right out the window of the box blind. I just knew it was ruined. It knocked the scope (Vortex Strike Eagle) off about 10" but otherwise the rifle is good. I'm going to send the scope back to Vortex and have them give it a once over.
There you have it, if you don't plan on a 15-18' fall you should be in excellent shape :)

I have two Savage rifles -- a 308 12FV and a 223 (no idea the model). Both are accurate but both have heavy bolt lift, the least smooth bolt operation out of any rifles I have (Bergara, Steyr, Howa/Vanguard, Montana, etc.). I've never used a "blueprinted" Savage action, though. I use the 308 as a backup PRS tactical class gun in a chassis and it'll go to 1,000 yards with factory ammo slapping steal no problem. I do sometimes have to fight the action - like it just locks up - but that could be the magazines I'm using... I'm transitioning to metal ones this year (if I can find ammo to participate in my hobby). The 223... quite frankly I only use it these days when the lady friend wants to go shooting at the range... but it'll go to 300 yards (as far as I've taken it) mostly miss free. I put that in a Boyds Spike Camp stock which made it easier to use as a trainer and it did get a little more accurate (after pillar bedding). The action on it is extremely heavy but is also smoother than the 308s. Inconsistent...

Against my better judgement, I am going to get a Savage Ultralite. Everyone I know who has one has an accurate rifle that weighs nothing and doesn't have such a pretty stock that you never want to actually use it. Just bed them.

My caribou hunt was near the end of August if I remember correctly. My firearms were lubed and coated with carnuba wax to prevent rust. Taped the muzzle with scotch tape. It was more wet weather than extreme cold. So I guess it all depends on the location and the hunt.

Savages are great, but I have had issues show up over the years.
  • I have had one extractor break
  • two ejector pins get stuck.
  • If you load your own and push the pressures, what would be a clicker on a Remington is a stuck case on a Savage (in my experience).
  • Low drag, extra pointy bullets that are loaded long need a gentle push when feeding from the mag or they can get stuck
I question the wisdom of taking an unknown rifle to extreme conditions.

I need a 300 Win, sending a box. Put rifle in box. Tape secure. Give to UPS guy/store.

1609913303521.png