Savage 110 Reliable? Weaknesses?

RidgeRebel

Hi fellas,

I just acquired a Savage 110 Tactical in 300 Win and was considering this rifle for a possible Alaska trip but I am not real familiar with Savage. I saw on another forum folks questioning the reliability of the 110 for competition shooting so I began to wonder if it it's a great choice for out of state hunts where I cannot just run back home for another rifle or easily pack an extra. What experiences good or bad have you all had? What should I upgrade if anything?

Thank you for your time.
Bob

I have 10 savage rifles. Most i have put together from parts on this site. Short action long action. Standard shank large shank. Mags. to .243s i have never had any problems with any. Alot of people dont like them because they have more parts then say a Remington.

All Savages are garbage, I wouldn't trust your life to one for sure. So please feel free to send me yours and I'll dispose of it. 😆
Same as the fella above I have put together many Savage rifles and haven't had any issues at all. I think you'll do great with it! Good luck and test before you go, there is always that one in however many lemon out there.

I used my Savage 114 chambered in 30-06 on a plains game hunt in Namibia several years ago and it performed flawlessly. No problems at all. As suggested above, have a smith look it over and practice with it to ensure you are comfortable and it functions as expected. Good luck on your hunt!

I've had and have a few Savages and never had any trouble with them unless I severely neglected them to a point where it would have caused trouble with any brand rifle. If your truly concerned, you could have a knowledgeable smith go through it, inspect, and clean it, but I think you'd be better served doing that yourself.

I've had and have a few Savages and never had any trouble with them unless I severely neglected them to a point where it would have caused trouble with any brand rifle. If your truly concerned, you could have a knowledgeable smith go through it, inspect, and clean it, but I think you'd be better served doing that yourself.
'Ditto' !!!! 👍

They been around since the sixties and have been doing the job well ever since. Like others said, have put together and hunted/shot savages for a long time with no problems or complaints. They tend to be accurate and dependable, and like others I will take any old savage bolt guns you want to get rid of. Enjoy your hunt :)

Biggest reason I wouldn't recommend a savage is once you have a pile of parts, it's way too easy to get trigger happy ordering barrels and building new guns! 😂 in all seriousness though the one legitimate PITA is minimal quality stock options and really no good options for a hinged floorplate. With a little bit of massaging I think there's room to stretch the short action considerably, time will tell.

I went on a hunt in Alaska with a buddy who carried his Savage 110. He didn't blue locktite his scope mount screws and they loosened up. With your Tactical Model I'd test out the detachable mag system and magazines. But like the others have said just test out your rifle and you should be fine. That's true with any firearm whether it's an EDC, duty, or hunting rig. For areas where bears a a concern I carried a sidearm. Four inch Model 29 with 300 gr hard cast flat nosed bullets. It went everywhere with me.

Hi fellas,

I just acquired a Savage 110 Tactical in 300 Win and was considering this rifle for a possible Alaska trip but I am not real familiar with Savage. I saw on another forum folks questioning the reliability of the 110 for competition shooting so I began to wonder if it it's a great choice for out of state hunts where I cannot just run back home for another rifle or easily pack an extra. What experiences good or bad have you all had? What should I upgrade if anything?

Thank you for your time.
Bob
Bob,

Welcome to the barrel nut brotherhood. :)

I have a few Savage rifles and builds without any issues. If you have not done so already, an effective muzzle brake install is an excellent upgrade along with a good scope. Please keep us posted about your hands-on experience with your rig as you progress. Good luck on your hunt.

Ed

Last edited:
The only negative I would say about the Tactical model is the weight. FOR ME I wouldn't want to carry a heavy rifle out in the tundra. But if your are young and/or are in great shape then it's not an issue. When I went I was in my earlier 30's and was in "okay" shape. I carried a lighter rifle. Good news for you is you could get a light barrel already threaded for a muzzle break and screw it on.

Biggest reason I wouldn't recommend a savage is once you have a pile of parts, it's way too easy to get trigger happy ordering barrels and building new guns! 😂 in all seriousness though the one legitimate PITA is minimal quality stock options and really no good options for a hinged floorplate. With a little bit of massaging I think there's room to stretch the short action considerably, time will tell.
Amen, Brother, Amen