Savage 110 Reliable? Weaknesses?

I post this information for anyone who is using a Savage rifle and is experiencing extraction issues.
Let me explain further:
I own quite a few Savage rifles and several model 110's being among them.
The last one was purchased in September of 2020 and is a Savage Model 110 High Country in 300 Winchester Magnum caliber.
Well, this rifle was causing me major extraction issues with either handloads or factory ammunition. ( I know what you may be thinking and that is my hand-loaded ammunition was loaded hot and in fact, it was loaded to 5% below maximum safe charge weight)
In desperation, I even tried a different recipe using another brand of powder still with the same results.
No matter what I did this problem would not go away. I pulled the extractor and ejector pins after taking the bolt apart and gave all the components a thorough cleaning and light lube with Rem Oilmaking certain to clean the extractor sand ejector springs.
After this, I reassembled the bolt back hoping that I had solved the problem.
After sending 6 rounds down range with no issues the 7th round was a failure to extract.
Never have I experienced a head-scratching problem such as this with any of my other Savage rifles. I even own another 110 rifle in the same caliber without any failure to extract even using the same ammunition as stated above.
Fireformed brass had been neck turned, annealed, Fl resized, trimmed to length, and shoulder bumped -.002" before completion of the hand-loaded ammunition.
After some internet searching, I read that later model 110 Savage rifle were experiencing extraction problems. and that the culprit is a weak extractor coupled with the fact that the extractor ball from the factory is .125" in diameter. and is just not strong enough to function correctly.
The answer is to replace the extractor claw and ball which lies under the extractor with an HD extractor and a .140" diameter 9/64" ball including the new ejector and spring in kit form.
Well, I could not find anyone who had this product in stock which brings me to the point of this post.
I finally found a company that had them in stock and for $ 25.00 + shipping I had a new extractor, as well as an ejector pin and spring package sent to me, and it arrived in only 2 days' time.
FYI:
For those Savage Rifle owners who are experiencing this problem and wish to purchase better extractor and ejector combinations, I post the following.
The name of the company is ( and at last count, they were well-stocked )
Kinney Mfg. Company
23818 Lowe Road
Elon NC 27244
Thats where I get the kits also. Buy em, replace em, get extras.

I have only one Savage 110 presently. A centerfeed accutrigger long action that I have used for a switch barrel rifle for years. Yes get the extractor kit. Other than that the centerfeed has fed smoothly without issue and for some reason in he Long action I have no problems loading the magazine. Unlike the short action Remington 700 where getting the second round in the magazine can irritate you easily. This rifle presently has a 243 barrel on it and it shoots Nosler 55 gr. bullets pushed to 3800 fps into tight little groups. It rides behind the seat as a coyote general principles rifle. The bolt is smooth, smoother than my Remington 260 700 but not enough to matter.

This is where i got mine, but appears out of stock at the moment:

Perhaps contact Kinney directly, since they are the manufacturer.
If you google Kinney Shooters Supply.Com you will find a phone number and e-mail link.
I just texted Patrick and he told me that he is well stocked with over 100 kits in stock and ready to ship.
When you call him please mention that you got his website and phone from a fellow dog lover who resides in Florida. He will hook you up, as he is really a very decent and civil individual.
OBTW:

The part number is # SS-2401 Savage enhanced extractor kit
The cost I mistakenly stated as $ 25.00 is in actuality $25.95 + shipping.

Additionally, you can google Enhanced Extractor kits for savage rifles and you will find the part and photograph of the items included in the kit on his web site.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I converted two savage model 10's from magnum bolt faces to standard bolt faces using PTG bolt heads. While you have your bolt apart changing ejectors and installing lift kits check firing pin striking depth. The video below helps. I will look for the article I used when I adjusted depth.

If you google Kinney Shooters Supply.Com you will find a phone number and e-mail link.
I just texted Patrick and he told me that he is well stocked with over 100 kits in stock and ready to ship.
When you call him please mention that you got his website and phone from a fellow dog lover who resides in Florida. He will hook you up, as he is really a very decent and civil individual.
OBTW:

The part number is # SS-2401 Savage enhanced extractor kit
The cost I mistakenly stated as $ 25.00 is in actuality $25.95 + shipping.

Additionally, you can google Enhanced Extractor kits for savage rifles and you will find the part and photograph of the items included in the kit on his web site.
Hope this helps!
I provided the hyperlink in #111.

Last edited:
Well if any of you have a trick to loading the straight feed blind magazines I am ALL ears.
I have a 270WW that loves 150's and a case full of R26. It is a chore to load, most times come close to cutting a finger.
Suppose I could put a tall rail and see through rings on it. Just darn little space to get ammo into the mag.

@JSHKS - you should probably just tear it down and part it out ... I'd be happy to take the RL26 off your hands ... 😜

Did yours start out with this mag and cartridge combo? ... I know sometimes when folks build up a "frankenrifle" the feed lips might need some adjustment ... perhaps yours might be impacted by this if it isn't all original?

@JSHKS - you should probably just tear it down and part it out ... I'd be happy to take the RL26 off your hands ... 😜

Did yours start out with this mag and cartridge combo? ... I know sometimes when folks build up a "frankenrifle" the feed lips might need some adjustment ... perhaps yours might be impacted by this if it isn't all original?
It is one of the Cabelas exclusive rifles from a few years back, bone stock and shoots ridiculously well for what it is.
It sat in the safe for a number of years unfired. Got in a bind and needed a rifle. Had plenty of components and was gifted a box of 150's. 130's worked and had been shoved down my throat with 4831 since I was a kid, I just didn't ever see what was so great about that combo.
R26 and the 150's with a book load is stepping awfully close to 7mag performance.
Actually bought it to build a 6.5-06.

Savage's I've owned and loaded for have been more accurate and reliable than their cost should allow. Of course that's a good thing. That's especially true of a 110. Only reason I haven't chosen a Savage in the past for one of my Elk hunt's is that I have to hump a rifle over the mountains often for many miles along with at least a day pack, water and other essentials. I try to keep things light yet I want a longer barrel as well for longer range for Elk hunting. In the past Savage to my knowledge had no high powered rifle that really fit that niche. They had some short barreled rifles that were fairly light but anything I consider a magnum rifle with a suitable barrel was very heavy. Just lately, I saw a newer model though expensive for a savage, I think around 1200, was both light with a decent length barrel even blueprinted like a custom job. Now that looked really interesting to me as a Elk hunter. Had I not already invested in a lightweight magnum I would be all over that. But if either a short barrel or a heavy rifle for you is not a concern a 110 would serve you well I'm sure.
The first sentence says it all!

Hi fellas,

I just acquired a Savage 110 Tactical in 300 Win and was considering this rifle for a possible Alaska trip but I am not real familiar with Savage. I saw on another forum folks questioning the reliability of the 110 for competition shooting so I began to wonder if it it's a great choice for out of state hunts where I cannot just run back home for another rifle or easily pack an extra. What experiences good or bad have you all had? What should I upgrade if anything?

Thank you for your time.
Bob
Hi Bob,

I have a few Savages currently,

112 22-250 FVSS

220 20ga slug gun

210F 12ga Slug gun (First generation)

I've used the 210 for about 17 years and I love it. I hunt in Ontario Canada and use it during our shotgun only deer season which can range in temp from +20 down to -20 (Although we haven't had a -20 season in many years)

Point is that I have run it hard in the summer +90 and winter -20 without an issue.

It's accurate and built tough.

The bolt is very thick in diameter, and has 3 lugs, compared to the thinner bolt of the 2nd gen 212/220 containing 2 lugs.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the 2 lug bolts, but for me, the almost double diameter 3 lug bolt instills a sense of strength and dependability.

One design component that sets Savage apart is their barrel nut which allows easy adjustment of headspace and easier barrel swaps.

The only complaints I have is with my 210 and 220 is the fore stock, which does have a bit of flex.

Some Savages have the accustock, which is stiffer and provides a better bedding surface for the action.

Most have accutrigger, which some hate and some love, but when adjusted properly it's a pretty good trigger (especially for factory)

If I upgraded anything It would be the stock. I'd buy a chassis, or the very least have the factory stock pillar bedded and fore end stiffened, However you have accustock, accutrigger and accufit so ur in pretty good shape.
I think the best thing you can do is break it down, inspect it, clean it, (clean grease out of the trigger housing bc all that lube will cause issues in cold temps) reassemble and go shoot it.

If it's comfortable, accurate, and you have no issues, then you're almost gtg.

What will you be hunting in Alaska, What condition is the rifle in, what's the average shot distance where you're hunting, and what glass are you using if u don't mind me asking?
Lastly I apologize for the massive reply,

It's my first time responding to a post and I probably rambled on too much so please be honest and let me know.

Check the firing pin; I had one break on me. Overall I do not care for Savage rifles due to their lack of quality. A lot of folks tout how great they are but I have not had the same experience. I had one rechambered from .30-06 to .280 AI and wanted the receiver faced prior to the match barrel being screwed on. The gunsmith showed me that the receiver could not be properly aligned to be faced; with that being said the Savage has a floating bolt that aligns with the chamber. If you can sell it for a good price I'd get a Begara or Tikka.
Amen to that. Dump it. Last year I purchased the 110 ultralight. 6.5prc. Junk in a box. Wouldn't chamber some factory ammo. Extractor was broken right out of the box. Scope mount holes were drilled but never tapped. So I sent it back. Months later I got it back with a check list from gunsmith. Everything checked out OK. Lmao. I replaced the extractor and ejector spring. I tapped out the mounting holes. And a gunsmith checked the chamber. Was about .006 shallow. We re- reamed it. Then it was fine. But couldn't escape the fact that the bolt fit so loose you'd think it was built with Legos.

Recent Posts