Savage 110 Re-barrel

I personally have 3 Xcaliber barrels, 2 on a Zermatt and 1 on a Tuebor. I have built another for a buddy's savage 110, and know of -at least 4 more being used in my close circle.
ALL of them are shooters. We shoot PRS club matches, ring steel informally at extended ranges and ultimately hunt with these builds. These Barrels are good to go. Prefit or custom shouldered I like the value.

I have an xcaliber in 6 creedmoor and it likes 108eldm factory match ammo. NOTHING else. can't get it to shoot with reloads or anything else like it does with the factory match ammo. Pretty weird. So does it shoot good. Yes. With one ammo. I have 1 criterion in a 300wm match. It's been shooting sub .5". I have had countless shilen select match prefits and EVERY one of them shoots in the .2"s-.3"s pretty much right out of the gate. Shilen is probably the most underrated barrel out there. They absolutely hammmer

Some food for thought.........I'd put a shouldered barrel on it and get rid of the nut along with a custom recoil lug instead of the stamped out factory one.

Shilen is probably the most underrated barrel out there. They absolutely hammmer
I have two, both on Savage actions and my experience is the same. Most ammo shoots very well. Find the right load and they shoot exceptionally well. No experience with xcaliber though. They were surprisingly cheap and I almost tried them. I went back later and the price had jumped to about where everyone else is so I didn't see any reason to take a chance on them. Please let us know how it works out if you get one though. I'm curious.

X caliber barrels are good barrels. I have two and have only felt like they get a bit dirty. That could just be my loads though. I haven't used one of their carbons so I can't speak on that. I have two Mcgowens and three green mtns. The best accuracy ever was on a cheap green mtn barrel. overall they all shot pretty well with minimum effort. I will give Savage the credit there. I have never had a Savage that didnt shoot.
As for working on your Savage they are very easy. Watch a video on YouTube on a boltface change and you'll know how it's done.

Some food for thought.........I'd put a shouldered barrel on it and get rid of the nut along with a custom recoil lug instead of the stamped out factory one.
Yes, it can be done up "traditional". My first Savage was done up like a rem, I eventually turned it back into a Savage. Long live the NUTZ.

Yes, it can be done up "traditional". My first Savage was done up like a rem, I eventually turned it back into a Savage. Long live the NUTZ.
I agree jasonco, like being able to change barrels and headspace myself in the time it takes to eat breakfast :) I'll have some stuff to post Sat. on the new criterion barreled savage as well as a three gun load work and barrel break in funfest at the range all to myself. Gentle breezes and warm temps.........and NO facemasks :0

Shilen is probably the most underrated barrel out there. They absolutely hammmer
My gunsmith is Shilen's most ardent supporter, he cranks out a lot of very accurate guns built with them. I was amazed a while back when I started a post about criterion barrel's at the positive review's that were posted. I had to try one to see for myself.

I've dealt with NSS for the last 17 year's on actions, stocks, and barrels. James is easy to deal with and they have most anything I want for savages, now they stock most criterion barrel's to ship right out and source rifle basix, trued barrel nut's, action and barrel nut wrench's and the machined heavy recoil lugs as well. Guess I'm just a savage junkie.......

I'm contemplating rebarreling my savage 110. It's a 308 with detachable mag rite now. I've researched and seems criterion is a great barrel among other pre-fits to try. What is the verdict on xcaliber barrels? I see they're offering a carbon wrapped barrel and I've been wanting to try one. I will hunt some with this rifle but mostly go shoot it. Also, could you turn it into a 6.5prc? I know the bolt face would have to be changed. But could it run in a short action.

I'm contemplating rebarreling my savage 110. It's a 308 with detachable mag rite now. I've researched and seems criterion is a great barrel among other pre-fits to try. What is the verdict on xcaliber barrels? I see they're offering a carbon wrapped barrel and I've been wanting to try one. I will hunt some with this rifle but mostly go shoot it. Also, could you turn it into a 6.5prc? I know the bolt face would have to be changed. But could it run in a short action.

I put a pre-fit Criterion 260 Rem. barrel on my Savage and was able to hit an 18" plate at 1760 a couple of times. The stock on it is a Choate. This was a used gun that I bought so I have around $1000. in it. Lots of room for good glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.