Savage 110 Re-barrel

Dnk9444

I'm contemplating rebarreling my savage 110. It's a 308 with detachable mag rite now. I've researched and seems criterion is a great barrel among other pre-fits to try. What is the verdict on xcaliber barrels? I see they're offering a carbon wrapped barrel and I've been wanting to try one. I will hunt some with this rifle but mostly go shoot it. Also, could you turn it into a 6.5prc? I know the bolt face would have to be changed. But could it run in a short action.

I'm contemplating rebarreling my savage 110. It's a 308 with detachable mag rite now. I've researched and seems criterion is a great barrel among other pre-fits to try. What is the verdict on xcaliber barrels? I see they're offering a carbon wrapped barrel and I've been wanting to try one. I will hunt some with this rifle but mostly go shoot it. Also, could you turn it into a 6.5prc? I know the bolt face would have to be changed. But could it run in a short action.

No experience with xcaliber or carbon wrapped barrels, but the 6.5prc should be okay in a savage short action. If you buy one from savage it comes on a short action, and their short has a longer mag than Remington 700 does. Seems like I remember mine being over 3" but I'm not 100%.

As far as the bolt face goes you can just swap the bolt head. I swap a few different barrels onto mine so I just waited to find good deals on complete bolts. Less work when swapping that way. I've found them for about $150 without too much trouble, I even picked up one for $75 lol

I'll take the questions as you asked them,
I've just started buying criterion barrels and I'm very pleased in all regards so far. Have no experience with xcaliber barrels so no opinion there.

Yes you can barrel it in 6.5PRC, yes the bolt bolt face will need changing. You can do this yourself or have a local gunsmith do it for you, its not very expensive. It will fit a short action but heavier longer bullets will be tight at an overall length of 2.850-2.950. Its doable, heck the new savage carbon ultralite uses a short action with 6.5PRC cartridge.

Thanks for the replies. I thought I had read that savage 6.5prc was built on a short action. What magazine would work for them?

Thanks for the replies. I thought I had read that savage 6.5prc was built on a short action. What magazine would work for them?
I think the Savage blind mag and factory dbm (both are the same infernal length) are the longest mags for a short action

My savage has the detachable mag. Which mag would work for it? So, A switch to the magnum bolt face is just all that it would require?

I use X-Caliber barrels and the next one should be showing up in a couple weeks?! A 416R stainless to your specs, within reason, at a great price and fairly fast lead time, with no issues from any! Hand lapped, easy to clean too. The best part is they're accurate and load dev is good to go.

I was running short on time, to wait for a carbon fiber from them.

If it's of recent Savage "short" action, which is actually a medium action, you're good to go with a 6.5 PRC, just a magnum short bolt head, which I just got one from Midway, for another FV build. I'm staying blind box on this one, but bottom metal with an Accurate Mag magazine will work.

My savage has the detachable mag. Which mag would work for it? So, A switch to the magnum bolt face is just all that it would require?
You might need to get a 300wsm mag, but I'd try it through the mag you have as it might work. Otherwise, yeah, just the barrel and magnum bolt face

Was looking a bolt head on midway and the short magnum bolt head is a controlled round feed. I didn't see where they sell the push feed bolt head.

Criterion makes a fine barrel no worries. I have a x-caliber that was from early on and it shoots great. There's some bad press on x-caliber that may very well have some legitimacy. It has certainly made me reluctant to try another.

What is the verdict on xcaliber barrels?

As with anything, you will get mixed reviews. I have an X-caliber 26" 1:7" 5R on my .264 WM, also a Savage 111F action. Below is the final four-shot group during barrel break-in using factory ammo at 200 yards.

.264 WM barrel break-in 1 of 3.jpg

.264 WM barrel break-in 3 of 3.jpg

I have not done load development yet but I think it has very good potential.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.