Savage 110, is it a good idea to square the receiver face when replacing barrel and recoil lug? Anything else needed?

Always sound procedure to true the receiver ring, replace the stamped lug, and true the barrel nut as well (or replace with a "precision" nut). For most, you'll have acceptable accuracy without doing it. Receiver truing is one of those areas of diminishing returns vs. cost IMO. Rather than low/mid-tier barrel + truing, better to buy the best quality barrel.

Always sound procedure to true the receiver ring, replace the stamped lug, and true the barrel nut as well (or replace with a "precision" nut). For most, you'll have acceptable accuracy without doing it. Receiver truing is one of those areas of diminishing returns vs. cost IMO. Rather than low/mid-tier barrel + truing, better to buy the best quality barrel.
I would agree, I do lots of savages and have had two trued. Both times I saw no difference. I usually add a precision lug and precision barrel nut buy a decent barrel, bed the lug and call it a day.

I would agree, I do lots of savages and have had two trued. Both times I saw no difference. I usually add a precision lug and precision barrel nut buy a decent barrel, bed the lug and call it a day.

Exactly! Unless you measure a large amount of runout... it usually isn't worth it to square the receiver. Unless of course you own the lathe then, why the heck not?

The factory recoil lug on the other hand, belong in the scrap bin. I also vote on a barrel nut upgrade, I do not like the factory barrel nuts.

t

Here is the sticker in my mind. To best find out if the receiver needs truing, I need to put it on the lathe. Putting it on the lathe is most of the work. I think the lugs and the face of the receiver are important to do at the same time. I wouldn't do one without the other. Therefore, to find out if you need to do it, you are basically paying to have it done. Truing a receiver is part of the precision checklist. Barrels are most of the equation. If you get a good barrel, then you will probably get very good accuracy without the need to true the action.