Savage 110 High Country

Good point. Wouldn't also make sense a short barrel and non-tactical scope would be warranted? Savage makes the light weight storm that is 5.5lbs and with a light 3x10 type scope should be 6.5 lbs or less ready to go. It seems on the long range shooters benefit from longer barrels, little heavier rifles, and heaver tactical scopes. Since this is a long range page, I always assume people are hunting with long range in mind.
agreed but im also seeing long range hunters trending toward light weight rigs these days. Many are able to do so with skinnier barrels that still shoot tight 3-5 shot groups, some are doing it with very light weight stocks and heavy barrel flutes, and others are doing so with carbon fiber wrapped barrels. If I ever get back to longer range than I am today I don't think id ever go back to rifles over 7.5lbs (not including optics of course). Id rather save for a proof barrel setup or just buy a medium contoured steel barrel with flutes. Ill never go back to light varmint or thicker.

agreed but im also seeing long range hunters trending toward light weight rigs these days. Many are able to do so with skinnier barrels that still shoot tight 3-5 shot groups, some are doing it with very light weight stocks and heavy barrel flutes, and others are doing so with carbon fiber wrapped barrels. If I ever get back to longer range than I am today I don't think id ever go back to rifles over 7.5lbs (not including optics of course). Id rather save for a proof barrel setup or just buy a medium contoured steel barrel with flutes. Ill never go back to light varmint or thicker.

Yep, it comes at a cost tho. My last build would cost a guy 7000-8000 depending on the smith and it weighs 10lbs 3 ounces with a folder and suppressor. Remove the suppressor and folder and its 9 lbs. I have another rifle I put together that is under 9 lbs with a suppressor and 8 without. Both are sporting carbon proof bull in 20 and 22. I am in the same boat, shorter, lighter, easier to maneuver. A big part of that is due to adding a 7" can. Having a rigid set up that is repeatable and light is a bit of balancing act. I really didn't mind packing 12-13 lb long range rifles but a light rifle capable of shooting long range is more appealing.

I bought my wife tge 110 Predator in 6.5cm about 4-5 years ago and that thing is a tack driver even with factory ammo. It's consistently sub .55 MOA 5-shot groups. I liked it so much I built a custom 6.5cm that cost about 4x what I paid for her Savage at the time. It shoots .25moa. Honestly, that Savage was a way better value and all most people will ever need. The Savage did have a poorly milled extractor that I had to replace and Savage was willing to do it for free if I'd have wanted to send it to them. Other than that, zero issues. I have NO problems recommending Savage.

I'm going to get in touch with my friend who is an FFL dealer and get this process started. I was going to wait until after Christmas. but there is a $100 rebate up to DEC 2.
I had wanted to stop by a gun shop in Lexington Ky , on my way back home from west Texas , but didn't have time. This shop had the High Country on sale for $804 not including the rebate. My friend can usually beat any price. I'm going to order a few boxes of factory ammo , so what shoots best? I'm hearing 143 - 147gr ELDX is best.

I'm going to get in touch with my friend who is an FFL dealer and get this process started. I was going to wait until after Christmas. but there is a $100 rebate up to DEC 2.
I had wanted to stop by a gun shop in Lexington Ky , on my way back home from west Texas , but didn't have time. This shop had the High Country on sale for $804 not including the rebate. My friend can usually beat any price. I'm going to order a few boxes of factory ammo , so what shoots best? I'm hearing 143 - 147gr ELDX is best.

Mine all like the Hornady Precision Hunter w/ 142gr ELDX. Lots of choice in 6.5cm. Nosler makes some great stuff also. There's even some semi-custom loadings available online. Congrats!

https://hendershots.net/product/6-5-creedmoor-extreme-custom-ammo/

https://dallasreloads.com/product-category/rifle-ammo/6-5-creedmoor/

Anyone know if the 6.5 PRC is built on a long action? Savage lists the length of the rifle at 45.25", with the 24" barrel. That is the same length spec as the 24", 300 Win Mag & 7mm Mag rifles.

300 WSM, w/ 24" barrel, is listed as 44.25"

Do you have any idea how the 6.5 PRC compares to a .300 Win Mag as far as recoil?
With the factory muzzle brake , recoil is very manageable, like a 308 Win. If you remove the break, which I have done to install a suppressor, the recoil is about like a 300 WM.
On a side note: if you try to remove the brake, the two piece brake has a right hand thread on the barrel end, but a left hand thread where the two pieces of the brake screw together.

Anyone know if the 6.5 PRC is built on a long action? Savage lists the length of the rifle at 45.25", with the 24" barrel. That is the same length spec as the 24", 300 Win Mag & 7mm Mag rifles.

are you asking if for the Savage High country is it built on a long action or in general? The 6.5PRC was developed to be a short action cartridge if you are talking in a general sense.

From your description it sounds like savage built it on the long action though.

My 6.5 PRC High Country is built on a short action. I had to buy a short action picatinny rail and the magazine length is 3"

I ordered my Savage High Country last night through my FFL friend . Should be here in a few days, just in time for our big game gun season. I also ordered a 20 MOA rail and plan to put my Nikon Black FX1000 FFP 6-24x50 IL on it .
I probably won't put many rounds through it before deer season , so what is the best way to break in the barrel while getting at least 1 MOA accuracy.

I ordered my Savage High Country last night through my FFL friend . Should be here in a few days, just in time for our big game gun season. I also ordered a 20 MOA rail and plan to put my Nikon Black FX1000 FFP 6-24x50 IL on it .
I probably won't put many rounds through it before deer season , so what is the best way to break in the barrel while getting at least 1 MOA accuracy.
Are you a new shooter? Not trying to be mean but you are asking a very new shooter question. Every manufacturer has a barrel breakin procedure and none of them claim 1moa accuracy during the breakin. Also, many times off the shelf rifles may need 40-100 rounds down the tube before the barrel "settles" and gives its best accuracy. For example, I had a remington that at best would shoot 1.3inch groups out of the box. Remington asked me how many rounds down the tube. I told them 30. They said shoot 70 more and if still not acceptable call them back sure enough, about 70 rounds later the gun became a .75inch gun at 100 yards.

as for barrel breakin. For non-lapped barrels...most companies will say shoot 10 shots with cleaning in between EVERY shot. Then shoot something like five 3 shot groups with cleaning between each of the 3 shot groups. They say repeat this until fouling/cleaning becomes relatively easy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts