Savage 110 High Country

I have 2 - .300 win mag ,so game larger than deer size will use the 300. My main purpose for the 6.5 is a Varmint , long range target ,med game hunting rifle . I will reload for the 6.5 , so I'm leaning towards the Creedmoor, if I didn't have the 300 win mag , then definitely the PRC. Also looking at a rifle that my wife would enjoy shooting, she says the 300 gives her a headache .:eek:

My mind is pretty much made up that the High Country is the rifle I want . It has all the features I'm looking for , camo stock , fluted barrel and bolt , threaded barrel , adjustable cheek piece and comb, Savage quality. Now 6.5 or 6.5 PRC? More research. Barrel life with the PRC?

I have a crapload of savages and all been good rifles. A few were left stock but most have been modified. This model is a great choice and really hard to beat for the price and all that you get. The stock is an accustock with adjustable cheek riser and LOP. Never had an issue with any accustock I've owned.

For the chamber choice, tough call. I have 6.5 cm and 6.5 PRC. If I recall the PRC model will have large shank action and barrel. That is a plus for short action magnums and future rebarrels in this cartridge if running prefits. My PRC is small shank in a proof and bighorn action and works fine for me. As far as which one to get.....I'd take the creed for smaller game, fun to shoot, mild recoil, easy to load for, etc. if the range isn't much past 500. Only reason for the PRC for me is the fact it runs close to 250-300 fps faster and take advantage of a heavier bullet for elk sized game at longer range. The PRC is basically replacing my 6.5-284's in a one action do it all package. Right now, I am using the PRC primarily for wolf hunting so the all the extra speed just means less error in elevation and wind. Wolf kill zone is that large so I need all the help I can get.

I had to go check it out, was shocked at the 8.15 weight. I like the gun overall, stock, trigger, coating, but 280ai caliber with only 22" barrel as well as all the non Magnum calibers. I would prefer 24" in the 280, 270, etc. Short action calibers of 308 size can do 22". Don't care about threaded muzzle. There is a black and stainless one that is lighter, same stock, different model rifle though. $1100?

The Storm has most all the same features but in black and stainless, aside from the camo, metal coating, and not threaded muzzle, and no fluting on barrel and bolt and is over a half pound lighter.

Last edited:
Not to derail to much but I have a brand new in box high country in 300 wsm I'm going to get listed this week. I was surprised how nice it really is but other priorities came up and it needs to go.

On another note I put a friends 300 win mag together (high country) and was surprised how accurate it was with factory ammo. Truth be told the factory muzzle brake was pretty effective. Eventually he will have me load for it and I'm expecting really good things!

Not to derail to much but I have a brand new in box high country in 300 wsm I'm going to get listed this week. I was surprised how nice it really is but other priorities came up and it needs to go.

On another note I put a friends 300 win mag together (high country) and was surprised how accurate it was with factory ammo. Truth be told the factory muzzle brake was pretty effective. Eventually he will have me load for it and I'm expecting really good things!
Ive never seen one with a factory muzzlebrake. Pretty sure it just comes threaded with no muzzlebrake.

I had to go check it out, was shocked at the 8.15 weight. I like the gun overall, stock, trigger, coating, but 280ai caliber with only 22" barrel as well as all the non Magnum calibers. I would prefer 24" in the 280, 270, etc. Short action calibers of 308 size can do 22". Don't care about threaded muzzle. There is a black and stainless one that is lighter, same stock, different model rifle though. $1100?

The Storm has most all the same features but in black and stainless, aside from the camo, metal coating, and not threaded muzzle, and no fluting on barrel and bolt and is over a half pound lighter.
Do you mean shocked you as heavy or light lol? To me it felt really heavy but I have been gravitating towards light weight rifles and don't like carrying bench rest heavy guns out in the field anymore. 2-3lbs doesn't seem like a lot but if you are shooting at a deer out of a treestand free hand at 100 yards and in...those 2lbs can be killer lol. I always try to get a good rest but sometimes you cant and if the deer is close enough to take a shot without missing, I want a light weight rifle.

Do you mean shocked you as heavy or light lol? To me it felt really heavy but I have been gravitating towards light weight rifles and don't like carrying bench rest heavy guns out in the field anymore. 2-3lbs doesn't seem like a lot but if you are shooting at a deer out of a treestand free hand at 100 yards and in...those 2lbs can be killer lol. I always try to get a good rest but sometimes you cant and if the deer is close enough to take a shot without missing, I want a light weight rifle.
Good point. Wouldn't also make sense a short barrel and non-tactical scope would be warranted? Savage makes the light weight storm that is 5.5lbs and with a light 3x10 type scope should be 6.5 lbs or less ready to go. It seems on the long range shooters benefit from longer barrels, little heavier rifles, and heaver tactical scopes. Since this is a long range page, I always assume people are hunting with long range in mind.

I'm looking at the Savage 110 High Country in 6.5 Creedmoor for a possible future purchase. Any thoughts on durability, reliability, quality or accuracy. I will reload for this caliber so any thoughts on reloading ?

I would like to voice support for your interest in a Savage rifle. I had a question mark on them until about 4 years ago. I wanted to try LRP and savage offered a "tactical rifle" in 6.5 Creedmore for less than $500. I felt that that would be a good place to start and spend more money on optics. It shot beautifully, .5 moa with handloads or hornady precision match. It would hang right with some of the custom guns I shot against costing 4 times as much. Since then I have purchased 7 Savages in various configurations and only one did not shoot .5 - .75 moa out of the box.

I like to support Savage because they set the bar on performance and affordability that every rifle manufacturer has been trying to catch up to for the last 15 years. They listened to their customers.

When the lawyers were squeezing the gun manufactures over safe triggers, instead of hiding from them like Remington and selling you a really crappy trigger that you would have to replace if you were a serious shooter, Savage invented a new wheel and came up with the accu-trigger that was bullet proof on the safety scale and was user adjustable. Then spit in the anti gun lawyers' eye. They earned my support.

I hope your new Savage experience I as good as mine. I've got rifles that cost 4 times as much and can't out shoot them.

I'm looking at the Savage 110 High Country in 6.5 Creedmoor for a possible future purchase. Any thoughts on durability, reliability, quality or accuracy. I will reload for this caliber so any thoughts on reloading ?
I purchased the savage 110 or some time ago and it's a tack driver ! Excellent rifle for the money !

Ive never seen one with a factory muzzlebrake. Pretty sure it just comes threaded with no muzzlebrake.
Both the 300 win mag and 300 wsm have brakes.
20191105_102612.jpg
20191105_102622.jpg

To me it seems heavy for a syn stocked rifle with 22" barrel that is fluted and a fluted bolt, options designed to save weight in part. And the storm in same dimensions is lighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.