Savage 110 high country

I just ordered a savage High country 110 in 300 win mag. I can say with practical application that Savage/Drake are producing some nice rifles. I currently own a Evo 110 in .308 that's a solid shooter for sure. IMHO the Evo is a bit heavy for hunting animals, the High country comes in at 8lbs only 5lbs lighter, but its 5lbs of something else you can have in your ruck. Anyone else on here have, or shoot the new High country?
Brad
I held a high country and liked it but for me I have been moving to lighter guns but my ranges are much shorter than many on here (400 yard max). I think the look of the highcountry is fantastic which should appeal to many. I think it really depends on the price. If you find one for only MSRP, there are definitely other options in the same price range which I think are equivalent or maybe even a little better. If you can find it below MSRP (Browning Hells Canyon LR, Bergara B14 series, and Christensen arms Mesa LR to name a couple), it is definitely an amazing rifle none the less though and will likely shoot very well!

It's a shooter for sure worth every penny. 26 inch a barrel on a 300 is almost no different than the 24. I can say this with practical experience coming from work out here on Bragg. Buy one you'll love it. Use gallery of guns they've got killer deals
This is not exactly accurate. You could say that about any rifle. 22in is only 2 inches less than 24in and doesn't make much of a difference as an example. To put into perspective the difference, many will say average of 50fps lost per inch (sometimes more sometimes less). This could mean a 22inch 300 winmag could be similar velocities to a 26inch 3006. All that being said, it only matters what you need it for. If you need maximum velocity then 26in would be better, If you want a slightly lighter more handy rifle then 24in would be better. Also, some cartridges and powders are built with certain barrel lengths in mind. So the 50fps I mentioned earlier, could potentially be much more if you do not get complete powder burn due to the shorter barrel. I would have no issues with a 24in 300win mag though ;)

I don't understand the bottom bolt release issue? I have several savages. Both top and bottom bolt release. Both work equally well.
The bottom bolt release doesn't work with other bottom metal and since the Savage mag is too short for loading long heavy bullets it will not work for what I want.

I held a high country and liked it but for me I have been moving to lighter guns but my ranges are much shorter than many on here (400 yard max). I think the look of the highcountry is fantastic which should appeal to many. I think it really depends on the price. If you find one for only MSRP, there are definitely other options in the same price range which I think are equivalent or maybe even a little better. If you can find it below MSRP (Browning Hells Canyon LR, Bergara B14 series, and Christensen arms Mesa LR to name a couple), it is definitely an amazing rifle none the less though and will likely shoot very well!
All of those require a gunsmith to rebarrel, Finding one to work on the Browning at a reasonable cost will be difficult. So much so that mine is just trash taking up space in my safe. Might as well buy a new rifle.

All of those require a gunsmith to rebarrel, Finding one to work on the Browning at a reasonable cost will be difficult. So much so that mine is just trash taking up space in my safe. Might as well buy a new rifle.
Unless you are shooting high round counts, why would you need a rebarrel? Secondly, if you are doing a switch barrel, why the high country? You would never be able to match the finish.

FYI: I have 2 savage switchbarrels and love them but would never buy an upper end Savage to build a semi-custom switch barrel savage. Id buy a used Savage for like 300$ or less to do my build.

I have accurate rifles but the single most accurate rifle I have is my Savage model 16 in 260 Rem .Will almost shoot one hole groups. I have never owned a Savage that wasn't accurate regardless of caliber.

Yes the 140 eld match shoots under an inch, so does the cheap winchester 125gr deer season xp. I have used the winchester to take 2 whitetail and a coyote so far.

Unless you are shooting high round counts, why would you need a rebarrel? Secondly, if you are doing a switch barrel, why the high country? You would never be able to match the finish.

FYI: I have 2 savage switchbarrels and love them but would never buy an upper end Savage to build a semi-custom switch barrel savage. Id buy a used Savage for like 300$ or less to do my build.
High round counts are rather relative. Shoot 1k rounds a year and your 7mm or 300wm doesnt last long. I dont care if the barrel matches, I do like the fact that it is stainless and coated, and the barrel channel would work with a Proof CF barrel. Going to get a Bighorn and use prefits.