savage 110 fires when i close the bolt

ekinze

Hi all

New to this forum. I have not found an answer any where yet, so i hope some one here can help. I have a Savage 110 Tactical in a 300 Win mag.
With some reloads the bolt will feel a little stiff when closing it and then when it closes the gun will fire. I have also dropped a new factory round in the snow, loaded it in the rifle and it felt stiff also, and it to fired. There has never been any adjustments made on the gun, it is factory.
I even switched dies, Lee and RCBS, trim length on reloads is 2.610 seating .020 off the lands. Could the head space be to tight? I like the gun it is accurate, just unsafe at this point. Have never had this problem with any other gun.

Had a .280 REM doing the same thing. Turned out to be the firing pin and spring in the bolt. Have it checked out by a gunsmith would be my advice. Gunsmith replaced parts for me, and have not had a problem since.

Hi all

New to this forum. I have not found an answer any where yet, so i hope some one here can help. I have a Savage 110 Tactical in a 300 Win mag.
. Could the head space be to tight? I like the gun it is accurate, just unsafe at this point.

You are so right. unsafe is putting it mildly. Dangerous is more like it.
If you didn't work on this rifle and make it this way, don't start working on it now. You could ruin the warranty. Send it back to Savage or call around until you find a gunsmith that likes Savage and let him have at it.

Imagine if you ever shot the wrong thing and the person suing you found out that the rifle was defective and you didn't do anything about it.
Major Grief. You don't deserve that kind of trouble, do you? So let a professional take care of this.

JMHO

Thanks for all the feed back. I will be contacting savage.
Just thought some one may have heard of something like this before.

on the older savages x( pre accutriger) it would be your trigger needs adjustment. My dads 06 would go off with a bump, till i got ahold of it. works like it should now only slicker:)

I've seen the same thing on older Remingtons when the trigger was in need of adjustment. Don't know anything about Savage actions and triggers though.

Thanks for all the feed back. I will be contacting savage.
Just thought some one may have heard of something like this before.

Not with the AccuTrigger!

The old trigger could be adjusted too lightly and it would release the sear as you said.

Now one thing you should ALWAYS do and I think it is mandatory with the Savage.
Move the Safety to the rear BEFORE closing the bolt!
The SAFETY will move to the half safe position and I do not think it will fire when you close the bolt.

This is NOT a solution for your problem, just a good idea for the future to prevent accidents.

edge.

Have you cleaned this rifle? If you clean without a bore guide, and get solvent in the trigger group it will gum up ,and not let the sear re-engage. When you load a round, and close the bolt the sear is dis-engaged, and releases the firing pin automaticaly. Just a thought.

Aim small Hit small

Thanks again for all the replies. I talked to Joe at savage arms, He asked me to send him the gun and they will look it over free of charge. He called right back. Best customer service so far. He too was thinking a trigger issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.