Savage 110 FCP 338 Lapua Question

I have heard great things about them. A scroll through some threads on here will show great groups. I havent been able to shoot mine yet. Only have 7 more months to wait!

I recently purchased a Savage 110 FCP 338 Lapua in the Hs-precision stock. I am in the procees of working up a load and have yet to find the "magic ingredients". So first I will list my current load combinations. I am shooting 300gr Berger Elite Hunters out of Lapua Brass. This is accompanied with various amounts of H1000 and CCI magnum primers. Through out the various powder charges they have all consistantly shot an approx. 1.5" group at 100 yds. Obviously this gun is capable of much more. So, my question to you is where do I go from here. I am thinking of jumping to retumbo and testing. If that doesnt work I was thinking of the 300gr SMK. Does this sound like a reasonble process of elimination. I am not new to LR shooting or relaoding but, on the same token I am no expert. Let me know your thoughts and what you would do if faced with this situation. Just as a side note I did not plan to change seating depth (which is at .020 off lands) until I found a tighter shooting group. Does that seem reasonable? Any and all of your help is greatly appreciated!

I have owned 3 of these rifles and all were 1/2 " or better from factory..
I think before you ripe apart the rifle to do a bed job is not necessary..
The 2 things I would do first is check that the ACTION screws are set at 35" Lbs
and the trigger guard screw is at 5" Lbs...Then I would buy a box of Black hills
250 and 300 gr. SMKS each...If your rifle wont shot way better with this ammo then you may have other issues but I doubt it very much.. The rifle that I have now shots 1/4 " at 200 yards ,,,it puts 3 rounds in 1 hole if I do my job...I had this rifle in Cody Wyoming and it shot just as I say at GUNWERKS shooting range last year after I bought a Nightforce scope from them..They were impressed at this factory stock rifle.. Just think it is worth a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts