Savage 110 build?

Well the precision target action is the strongest, and the 12 series is the easiest stainless large shank to find, but a 10, 11, 14, or 16 wsm action is the same as the 12 strength wise but only the 14 and 16 can be had in stainless.

So the wsm are all large shank? Sorry for the dumb questions, never priced one together before. Are there calibers to avoid? I have a 16 in 243 I've considered using, but the last thing I want is a safety hazard.

Most of the wsm actions were large shank ssome of the early ones like 2001-2004 may be a standard shank, and your 16 243 is a small shank, a small or standard shank is fine for wsms and RUMs or and edge, but because of cause size the lapua needs to be on a large shank.

Putting aside the option for a repeater does it really matter what savage action is used in terms of what gun/model/caliber the action came from?
Only disadvantage of a short action having to pull the bolt to remove a live round?

Short Action or Long Action make a huge difference. Therefore, making Model # important.

Short Action cannot be made long enough to even load 1 round of a 338 Lapua.

Visit http://savageshooters.com to talk to people that really know Savage rifles.

Seeing alot of misinformation on this thread so far.

Would a 30.06 or 300 win action be suitable for an edge / 338 rum?

Lapua seems like too much hassle....

Yes a 30-06 or 300wm action is fine, just order a small shank barrel. I have one on a 110 7mm rem mag action, it shoots great. It can also be done on your model 16 243 action as a single shot, you would just have to pull the bolt to eject a loaded round, but it will eject a spent case just fine.

Would a 30.06 or 300 win action be suitable for an edge / 338 rum?

Lapua seems like too much hassle....
300wm will wokr fine and you wont have to change bolt head. 338 rum is easiest to fit in dbm with longer bullets. 338 edge is the toughest unless single shot. when i did my edge it is a repeater 2 down 1 up but it is alot of work to the blind box. mine with 300 smk 3.820 c.o.l

Short Action or Long Action make a huge difference. Therefore, making Model # important.

Short Action cannot be made long enough to even load 1 round of a 338 Lapua.

Visit http://savageshooters.com to talk to people that really know Savage rifles.

Seeing alot of misinformation on this thread so far.

I have a 338 lapua built on a savage target action and I can chamber a round without any problems and it also ejects spent rounds fine also. I do however have to pull the bolt to extract an un fired round, which doesn't happen all that often since I only put a round in the chamber if I'm going to shoot. I have been shooting this rifle since 2009 and it shoots great and there was zero mods done to make it work.

I have a 338 lapua built on a savage target action and I can chamber a round without any problems and it also ejects spent rounds fine also. I do however have to pull the bolt to extract an un fired round, which doesn't happen all that often since I only put a round in the chamber if I'm going to shoot. I have been shooting this rifle since 2009 and it shoots great and there was zero mods done to make it work.

See, told you lots of bad information. Thanks for showing that I was one of them. Exactly why I directed the OP to the other website. Somebody there could probably have the correct answer.

I, of course, did not think about shooting them single shot.

just built a 338 edge on a 110 300 RUM long action, had to cut alot of metal out of the action and cut and extended the mag box to work with a 3.900" case but i had my throat cut at 3.860" so it would feed better i also cut the bolt stop back and the CRF ejector had to be trimmed back but it sure will eject a 338 EDGE case with a 300gr OTM berger at 3.900". Alot of time and some thinking went into this build i could have used a Lapua DBM mag but i didnt want that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.