Savage 110 Build Recommendations?

I was going to do some stuff with a savage long action, but I'm left handed so everything would take way longer. Mcmillian said they would do a stock for me, but I had to send them the rifle, so they could make sure the inletting was right. I also assume with your accustock that you have the factory dbm. That limits you to 3.500" coal length if you want to use it when you modify the rifle. For the length limit on coal, I would reccomend going with one of the wsm rounds. That way you can seat the bullets out to optimize it and still fit in your factory dbm with the heavy bullets. I will probably do a 270 wsm on a savage long action some day and have it throated for the 170 berger eol. When I measured the coal with that, it was about right for that factory mag. I would imagine that a 300 wsm with a 215 berger would run nice in that too.

Hello,

I have a Savage 110 in 300WM and I am getting the itch to start "building" it a bit.

This is a hunting rifle, so the least weight gain I can manage is highly welcomed!

Stock recommendations?
Should I stay with factory barrel till it is shot out before swapping barrels?
Factory ammo recommendations (hoping to get into reloading soon)?

Thank you all in advance, and any additional mods/upgrade ideas are highly welcomed!
Does it shoot good?

Thumbs up on the stockade's, two mule deer style and a sporter at this point. Factory laminates are good but quite heavy, McMillian or H&S Precision would be my choice. I'm not a fan of accutriggers so rifle basix 2 goes on every one, NSS recoil lug and barrel nut (way to go), criterion pre-fit barrels have been good to me. I always have the lug area and around pillars bedded, float the barrel and tang.

Only one more on my to do list.....savage 110 ultralite with proof bbl. and skeletonized receiver, just r&r trigger, screw on a brake, machined recoil lug, bed the stock and see what happens. Nice weight and length for a woods rifle.

Last edited:
Tagging in on this. Bought a 110 LA that was a 30-06. I've never owned a savage before but thought I'd try one. Struggling to find a stock, bottom metal and trigger. Being in Canada limits my options. NSS won't ship anything here. Want to build a 30-06AI to shoot the absolute hammer in 162 or 178 gr. The search continues.

Savage 10/110 with shilen barrel, timney trigger and bell and Carlson stocks are my go-to recipe. The B&C Sporter stocks are aluminum bedded and reasonably weighted. No complaints with them.

Hello,

I have a Savage 110 in 300WM and I am getting the itch to start "building" it a bit.

This is a hunting rifle, so the least weight gain I can manage is highly welcomed!

Stock recommendations?
Should I stay with factory barrel till it is shot out before swapping barrels?
Factory ammo recommendations (hoping to get into reloading soon)?

Thank you all in advance, and any additional mods/upgrade ideas are highly welcomed!

I implore you don't spend money on a different barrel or stock or any modifications if this means you won't have money to spend on getting into handloading!!! Trust me. I handload and shoot a factory savage 300 win mag.

I have a 110 LRH in 300WM.
I put it in an MDT ESS Chassis
I tried a multitude of bullets and none even came close to grouping until I tried 215 Hybrids. Berger factory Hybrids shot sub-MOA.
Not until I started handloading for it did it really show me it's potential.
215 Hybrid, H1000, Norma brass, GM215M
I'm loaded to just fit AICS mag length at 3.624 COAL. That originally put me at .080 off jam
I've killed elk with it out to 689yds. POA = POI.

I say get the rifle to fit you. Feed it what it loves. Shoot the barrel out. You're going to learn a lot along the way.

Last edited:
I also went with the McMillan game warden on a couple savage builds. It was a big upgrade over the original stock. They were easy to work with and even fabbed this up a little different as a blind mag with bottom bolt release as we were adding single shot followers so didnt want the normal mag slot milled in.

Thumbs up on the stockade's, two mule deer style and a sporter at this point. Factory laminates are good but quite heavy, McMillian or H&S Precision would be my choice. I'm not a fan of accutriggers so rifle basix 2 goes on every one, NSS recoil lug and barrel nut (way to go), criterion pre-fit barrels have been good to me. I always have the lug area and around pillars bedded, float the barrel and tang.

Only one more on my to do list.....savage 110 ultralite with proof bbl. and skeletonized receiver, just r&r trigger, screw on a brake, machined recoil lug, bed the stock and see what happens. Nice weight and length for a woods rifle.

Is there any bedding necessary with the stock rifle (Accustock, stock lug, etc.)?

I built a 7 wsm off a short action savage a few months back with a XLR Magnesium Chassis and shorter carbon6 barrel. Shoots great and much faster than I was hoping for. Weight is solid for hunting rig but can work LR range time too. Some speak against the WSM. I'm a fan thus far and can still buy good factory ammo for the time being (maybe not this second).

long action could give it more potential.

Attachments

• 2309F71F-6E06-4CD6-8A90-4EB35DC12F6F.jpeg
    2309F71F-6E06-4CD6-8A90-4EB35DC12F6F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
  • 112D6C4E-D244-410D-9D63-D05105BF2BAA.jpeg
    112D6C4E-D244-410D-9D63-D05105BF2BAA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
First thing I do with a Savage is pull the barrel and get one ordered. I send the barrel maker a dummy round with the bullet I want to shoot and seated the way I want to seat my bullets. I don't mess with the factory barrel simply because components cost money and I want my barrel built a specific way meaning barrel length, barrel twist, threading, set up to shoot a specific bullet etc.
I then replace the Savage accutrigger spring to lighten it.
Next I order a precision recoil lug and nut.

Finally the stock is up to you. I have actually been most happy with just using the plastic stocks and just bedding the recoil lug.
Good luck and have fun building savages is a lot of fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.