savage 110 BA .338 lapua

How many times do we have to reprint this! The most accurate out of the box rifles (sub $2K) are from Savage. Nothing new under the sun as it's been that way for almost twenty years. You should have put Remington in their own class of 1.5MOA guns, cause that's what 98% of them are out of the box. I shoot Remingtons, Savages, and Weatherbys, plus one lone Winchester and a couple 1885's.

The reference to action length was made to cover their shorter magazine box. Without going downstairs to measure them again, I think the Savage is about .180" longer in both short and long actions. The Winchester I might add is alittle longer (I think it's less than .100")

I'll assume that the Remington you have that shoots in the fives has the factory barrel, trigger, and stock. So I guess you must have an in with Remington like Layne Simpson did; cause nobody else seems to have one.

My favorite hunting rifle I own is a Remington by the way! But out of the box it was junk! On a perfect day it was a solid fours gun; as in four inches. It's a solid mid fours gun right now, but only after a complete rebuild. And still won't shoot with the out of the box Savages all the time. I have nothing against Remington other than they need to drop a 20Klb. Daisy Cutter on the factory and start all over
gary

That just isn't true. Do you just make stuff up??? First, Remington doesn't use a standard LA for their 338 LM. Second, Savage is by no means more accurate than an equally priced Tikka or Thompson Center, or Weatherby out of the box. It isn't even better than an equally priced Remington out of the box. They are all 1 MOA guns. Sure you might get lucky and get one that shoots under .5 MOA, but you could get that with ALL those manufacturers. My friend just bought a new X-Bolt in 338 Win Mag and it shoots in the fives all the time.

I have no problem with Savages. I just know they aren't the most accurate rifle out of the box. To claim that, proves your lack of expertise, well, on anything rifle related.

Well since you included Cooper, absolutely no objective mind could not pick that. You are simply a liar to not.

But very scientific. People choose savage because that is frankly all they can afford to own, and aren't experienced enough to try rifles like Tikka or Thompson Center. Add to that the fact that shops carrier savage at a higher rate, and viola, you have a ton of people that have no idea about real long range accuracy spouting of on how savage can't be beat out of the box. It's rubbish. I don't own coopers, but have shot a bunch. They aren,t ckose to my custom remingtons, but they are the tightest shooting rifle out of the box under 2k, without question.

Brilliant bumpkin. Trash the best actions in the world, see how far that gets you. BAT uses Remington because the design is virtually flawless in a custom realm. UNLIKE SAVAGE. And clearly you are not an engineer. Remington's design allows for 3x the failsafes as a Savage. The only reason savages are used is because they are easier for less skilled smiths to use.

Perhaps I am a mechanical engineer, and perhaps I am. I know and a few others on this board also know. Yet it took a dozen words to prove to me that you are not. Nothing wrong with that of course, as it's your business. Best thing you could ever lay your hands on is a mechanical CAD program that allows you to input vectors of force and then make things work. By the way I think the C/M MK.V Weatherby action is the best by a wide margin for saftey, but also know opinions will vary a great deal without a base to build off of.

You must be a gunsmith! Don't mean a lot to me wether you are or are not as that's your business. But perhaps you might want to look at the equipment listing for the benchrest shoots in the back of P.S. Kind of a common thing to see shooters being their own gunsmith. I mean to say "it's not rocket science." It's simply understanding what is going on, and then making it right. Few gunsmiths are inovators for one reason or another. So if it's a little different, it's a bad thing (even though it works well).
glt

Perhaps I am a mechanical engineer, and perhaps I am. I know and a few others on this board also know. Yet it took a dozen words to prove to me that you are not. Nothing wrong with that of course, as it's your business. Best thing you could ever lay your hands on is a mechanical CAD program that allows you to input vectors of force and then make things work. By the way I think the C/M MK.V Weatherby action is the best by a wide margin for saftey, but also know opinions will vary a great deal without a base to build off of.

You must be a gunsmith! Don't mean a lot to me wether you are or are not as that's your business. But perhaps you might want to look at the equipment listing for the benchrest shoots in the back of P.S. Kind of a common thing to see shooters being their own gunsmith. I mean to say "it's not rocket science." It's simply understanding what is going on, and then making it right. Few gunsmiths are inovators for one reason or another. So if it's a little different, it's a bad thing (even though it works well).
glt

Interesting you bring it up, benchrest shooters ( which I am not) and long range shooters all require the best action. And that is a custom Remington. Without question. And the remington is the safest as far as withstanding 'vectors of force'.

The fact remains that savage is a great action for a ok gunsmith. You can make a decent gun with it's action. Nothing compared to if you are working with Remington or custom actions though. :D

had my 110BA out in the weekend hunting on Fallow deer here in NZ

took 4 animals - 220 - 723 - 747 - and 897 yards all with 300g SMK's, all one shot kills.

rifles now had about 200 rounds thought it and seems to have settled its accuracy nicely down to 1.75 inch groups at 400 yards.....so less than 0.5m MOA.

only modification is to remove the redundant rails on sides and front.

heres a photo of the rail mod and a couple of exit holes on deer from the weekend.

Attachments

• 2011-09-01 17.27.32.jpg
    2011-09-01 17.27.32.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 2011-09-24 12.26.14.jpg
    2011-09-24 12.26.14.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 59
  • 2011-09-24 12.26.54.jpg
    2011-09-24 12.26.54.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 85
has anybody shot one of these? i'm thinkin it might be my new rifle. gun)
Hey man, I just bought one and I am very pleased with it. Recoil is about like a 410 shotgun and it is very accurate.I have not shot it long range yet but I will this coming weekend.gun)

Very skeptical of this. Sorry. I have heard the opposite. You can't use mag reviews, they are always good. Real world, I have heard the AR-30 is a bit better than the Savage, but the Remington is a better gun then both for the money.

The top of the heap is the AI. I have shot all but the Savage though, so I could be wrong.

every test I've ever seen ended with the comment that this was the most accurate snipers rifle out of the box on the market. Not my comment, but the tester's of course. Now I'll be the first to tell you that I've not read a test on the AR30, and probably never will as I have little interest in sniper's rifles (but of course not against them in any way)

The military once played around with a high tec version of the good old M14 down at Bragg. The action was space age alloy, and the barrel was something that will never rust or loose it's throat. The rifle was pretty light, and was deadly at 1000 yards on every shot. Folks involved in shooting it simply said it was absolutely the most accurate rifle they'd ever seen, and these folks could have any rifle they wanted.
gary

Eh, 26 is plenty for me. You don't get that much more with longer. Not enough to not kill at a 1000 yards.

gotta agree with you here. Long barrels become tuning forks with uncontrollable harmonics. But I suppose a guy could do a tuner (note: I'd hate to think about what it's gonna take to build one for the .338 Lapua!!). The weights would have to be made out of Mallory Metal, and even then it'd be nine to twelve inches long. Be a seriously interesting project.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts