savage 110 BA .338 lapua

Wonder how the Savage 110BA stacks up against the Remmy 700p in 338 Lapua. Both are a great deal. Has anyone done a comparsion for accuracy. I have a Rem 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. Super rifle and very accurate. Itching for a 338.
Would consider a 338 Ultra Mag if availalbe in a Sendero II.

Last edited:
crazyfast - i'm looking at this rifle as well. did anyone respond about accuracy? I'm looking at this and the AR 30. I'd be curious about how these compare off the shelf to the Barrett 98Bravo and the Sako TRG-42...

if anyone knows the answers please let me know. Thanks much. I'm new to long range shooting so forgive the "off the shelf" questions...

John

I have an AR30 I'm presently selling on here. I did some minor modifiations to it and I am very pleased with the performance of it. It shoots as good as most customs for half the price.

300 yards it will print 1/2 MOA with ES and SD's in the single digits.

I never owned a TRG but for the price of the AR30 I couldn't justify spending all the extra money for one.

A sniper buddy of mine has an AI 338 lapua and recommended the savage to his buddy. They took both guns to the range and
The savage shot as well or better than the AI.I shot the 300 win version and it is a tack driver

Wonder how the Savage 110BA stacks up against the Remmy 700p in 338 Lapua. Both are a great deal. Has anyone done a comparsion for accuracy. I have a Rem 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. Super rifle and very accurate. Itching for a 338.
Would consider a 338 Ultra Mag if availalbe in a Sendero II.

there have been several tests run, and the Savage 110BAS is regarded as the most accurate snipers rifle in the world.
gary

there have been several tests run, and the Savage 110BAS is regarded as the most accurate snipers rifle in the world.
gary

Very skeptical of this. Sorry. I have heard the opposite. You can't use mag reviews, they are always good. Real world, I have heard the AR-30 is a bit better than the Savage, but the Remington is a better gun then both for the money.

The top of the heap is the AI. I have shot all but the Savage though, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I have some trigger time logged on the savage. A good friend and customer of mine has one. IMH it is definitely a tack driver. I'm not certain on the load specs but know he was using 250gr bullets with h1000, but unless you are into the tactiCOOL look, I wouldn't own one. The stock is really heavy and bulky. The brake is huge and ugly. Though it is quite effective, its is quite ugly. The rails are machined well, fit and finish is good but other than the one used for mounting the scope. The rest are useless. Its just not a practical rifle for your average guy.

Kinda why I went away from the AR-30, just too bulky. I don't mind weight, but mix that with just a unwieldly huge weapon and it doesn't suit my use. Especially since every bolt gun I own has a hunting purpose of some sort. Not into bench shooting anymore. Not enough time, or zeal.

Interesting about the Savage, I heard is was just average. Particularly when shooting at further ranges. Now I just heard that. Looks like I will have to shoot my buddies next time I am in MT. He just got it for Christmas, but is already looking at trading up for the AI, blaser, or a SAKO TRG-42.

Beauty of a rifle btw!

Not to mention if im going to shoot a big .338 i want a little more that 26" of barrel, cause i want max velocity.

Eh, 26 is plenty for me. You don't get that much more with longer. Not enough to not kill at a 1000 yards.

i have the 110Ba in 338LM....

my load is:
300g SMK
Lapua brass
88.5g H1000
fed 215M primers
3.75 over all length

just fits the magazine and shoots 0.5-0.6 MOA out to 1000 yards

my rifle to 70-80 rounds to settle but i now have 150 rounds through it and it just keeps getting better and better.

I have been doing load developement on one today. It is a very ungainly rifle and not the sort of thing that you would carry very far. It was a 1/2 MOA shooter from new but with only 100 rounds down the tube it has dropped off to 1.5 MOA at best.
I suspect barrel fouling.
It gets very good velocity with 95 grains of H1000 and the 250 Accubond at 3030 fps from the 26" barrel.
I have cut my hand on sharp edges on the extended side rails.

I have a .338 RUM and a .338 Edge built on Remington actions and they are great hunting rifles. This is the way to go, not Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.