Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua Mag

Draxx11

Hey guys, any of you have experience with this rifle? I have posted in the past about an inquiry on a pgw Timberwolf but thinking I might take advice of some of the people and go with something cheaper to start off. So my question is this rifle worth it? I have owned nothing but savage rifles which is a big plus for me. Currently shooting a 30-06 and also own a .17HMR. I shoot my 30-06 comfortably out to 400 yards. Looking to go farther which is the reason for an upgrade and to get at those higher yardages.

Hey Draxx,

I got one about a year ago when they first started trickling into canada...

Very happy with it! I have got some good groups with it @ 1000 yards when I do my part....

It likes 300 gr SMK's and retumbo and I have been toying with some other bullets that show promise....

I am itching to get out to beyond 1030 yards with it but haven't had the opportunity as of yet.... The one thing I am beginning to realize is under 1000 seems like a waist of barrel life and reloading components because I can ring steel better and cheaper with my 2506 ai at 1000 (had my savage 110 rebarrelled to it this spring and it shoots like a laser!)
Anyways... My plan is to keep this gun as my dedicated 1000+ yard deer and coyote killer and henseforth have reduced my trigger time behind it compared to my other guns to just enough to keep used to shooting it so I am confident taking the long range shots... The 2506 ai will be my go to gun for yotes under 1000 and deer under 800...

Now having said all that I'm happy I got it but if I had the option at the time I probably would have one with the savage model 111 fcp 338 in the hs stock and put the extra $500 towards glass and reloading supplies...

What are your plans for the gun? If it is only for 1000 yard shooting at rocks and steel then I'd probably say stick with the 3006, it should be more than capable with the right bullets and powder pushing it....

Orch

Thanks for the reply orch. I will be doing quite a bit of target shooting to get the right feel for the gun before I take it out hunting. The main purpose will be for hunting once I am ready and more than comfortable with the longer range shots. I hunt anything from antelope to moose and have came across quite a few shots that I wish I had a gun like this to be able to make a kill. I will also be getting into reloading since it is quite expensive for brand name ammo.

Are they available or is there a waiting list on them still? From what I seen on a few threads and forums is they can be hard to come by. I seen on cabelas they are going for $1999.99. Is that an average price? From what I've seen it is but if you have one do you mind asking what you paid and what scope? I've been reading up on the Burris black diamond.

Thanks for all the help!

$2k is about right. Sometimes you can get them a little less, but not much. It is a great gun when it's on the bench. Getting it there could be an issue if you have to carry it any distance through the woods. It's loo-o--oong, and heavy (16lbs). It doesn't carry well either. I think the best way to move it is stuff it in a golf bag and wheel it. That aside, I really like the 110-ba, and wouldn't have any other. I like the feel of the gun, the weight makes it steady, the recoil is well managed, and it sure will reach out and touch things.

Hey there...

$2000 is what I paid for mine.... Last time I was in cabelas in wpg I believe they had one on the shelf, I think they also had the one in the hs precision stock as well....

It is a pig to carry arround and the stupid rail it came with makes it a pain to carry in the field ( I ended up taking the hacksaw too it :D and it's better now) most of the shooting opportunities I will have for game at long range will be set stand close to my truck so no hiking 3 miles through the backcountry...
A good biathlon sling would be the ticket for long hikes...

As far as glass, I started with a bushnell 6500 2.5 - 16 x 40 with tactical turrets... It was okay but suffered in low light because of the 40 objective and clarity wasn't the best
Now it's wearing a night force 5.5 - 22 x 55 NPR1 and couldn't be happier with it... It is a rock solid piece of optical engineering... Paid about $1700 for it and well worth it .

Orch

Yah for a long hike it would get pretty bothersome.. I don't plan on taking it for long hikes, I won't need a follow up shot when my animal 1000 yards away is down ;) haha! I will look into the biathlon sling. I've heard nothing but good things about NightForce scopes, will probably look into those aswell.

Could you please elaborate on PGW ripping ppl off? Just curious..

What are some reloading equipment that you guys use? I was interested in the Hornady lock n load classic set. Any opinions on it?

As far as reloading gear I use a Lyman press I got in a package set up years ago, it is not quite tall enough for seating bullets and I end up having to tip the cartridge a little to get it clear of the die (minor, but still annoying)

I started with rcbs fl dies but was having bullet and case neck runout so I switched to a redding bushing fl die and redding seating die with the micrometer (micrometer is really handy when it comes to playing with seating depth) the redding dies are quite a bit more expensive, but if you are gonna drop the cash on a long range rig and expensive glass don't skimp on the other links in the chain....

I also picked up a Lyman electronic powder dispenser and I love it!

Orch

K so redding dies I will have to pick up. What model of Lyman press do you have? I will have to get one without the clearance issue. Also will look into the electronic powder dispenser. What have you been using for powder and bullets? Weights? I know my rifle will shoot different once I get it bit just to try.

Hey Draxx...
Some load data I already posted in another thread on here:

300 gr Sierra mk
89.2 gr retumbo
Oal 3.702"
2755 fps
(shooting very well out to 1000yrds)

300 gr Berger hybrid
89.2 gr retumbo
Oal 3.758"
2700 fps
(just started tinkering with this bullet... Reduced speed compared to smk likely because I had to load a lot further off the lands to fit the magazine)

285 gr hornady hpbt match
91.4 gr retumbo
Can't remember oal off hand
2822 fps
(showing very good potential )

As far as the model of the press, I can't remember just the regular Lyman press that comes in their typical starter kit.... Use your google-fu and I am sure u an find what model press u need to load the Lapua without having to tip the shell....

Orch

Hey guys, haven't been on here in a while. Thanks for all the info it's greatly appreciated! So I have my 110 on lay away!! Pretty pumped! It comes with a millett 6-25 with illuminated reticle. Read up on it and seen a lot of good things about it. Kinda big but it's going on a beast of a gun so I think it looks sweet! I will be getting it either at the end of January or sometime February. Probably gonna order 300 smk's and couple different powders to work up some loads.

I have a 10/100 Savage Lapy that is the most accurate out of the box shooter I have ever bought...Had to adjust headspace with barrel wrench bought on Amazon...Was getting flat cases and sticky bolt at 90% loads...Factory brake sucks and I replaced that...I have to run barrel brush after 30 shots because Savage uses barrel lands that have sharp corners in the bottom of the lands and groups start to grow...I can show you guys 2 one hole 3 shot groups w/Barnes 225 ttsx and retumbo go power...Hope this helps...I am new here and I am a disabled vet, long time shooter, and internet gamer and HD rider...Hi to you all...gunner1949

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.