savage 110 action or custom?

isu600rr

ok so i have a savage 110 fcp-k in 300wm o ya it has the accu stock, i would like to turn it into a tack driver. My question is, should I use the action that I have an blue print it and pay to have that done, or should i just buy a new action like a surgen action.

Iwould love to put it on a maners Gat stock w the adj cheak weld and then get a heart barrel for it..

2nd question can i just screw the barrel on my self/> or do i need to get a smith to do it?

One must answer the question themselves as to what the tool is going to be used for and to what accuracy one is after.

I have a number of factory Savage barrels that a $400. custom barrel will not beat unless we are talking about benchrest accuracy.

Truing an action allows one to feel that they have done everything they can do to squeeze out the last piece of accuracy possible from that action. I quit truing years ago because for me a bughole is a bughole group and for my needs .250 and under groups are good enough.

If you can screw a barrel down on a go gauge and lock the barrel nut down tight in my opinion one does not need a smith. Jim @ Northland Shooters Supply i Minn has taken the Savage nut system and applied it to Remington as well. He has barrels from Criterion/Kreiger pre-threaded and sells the nuts as well. In my opinion the Savage mass produced actions are one of the truer actions without going to custom.

Just some experienced thoughts to mull over. Sure are a lot of Savage factory rigs winning these days. Specifically speaking of the Worlds competition last year where two team members were shooting stock Savages all the way.

Neal

I use the BERGARA bbls, and like 'em. easy to install and stellar accuracy. Try that first, then replace the stock if needed. you can do this yourself with the go/no-go guages.

The gun as of factory shoots about 1 min w re loads and i hate the stock w a passion and I'm looking at the manners bc i like the looks and feel. I will be trying to do it all myself and will eventually get a new barrel for it. But the stock is the #1 reason i want to change things.

I guess if im going to change the stock and bed it, do i do the barrel at the same time? and if so then should i just get a new action and have a new rifle all togeher?

Last edited:
You don't need to true your action, and for the price of a new barrel and stock that would pay for your new action, just your action. How long have you hand loaded? Most Savages will shoot 3/4" or under at 100 with good quality handloads. I would replace the stock and barrel on your rifle. If you want a top notch barrel look at any of the cut rifled barrels. If you want great accuracy at a value look at a button rifled barrel. Any of the big name barrel companys will give you a good barrel.

Just finished a savage 110 in 300 win mag. I rebarrel the rifle with Mcgrowen barrel bb ss then went with a bigger recoil lug also ss. As far as the stock bell and Carson glass bedded the action to the stock. I had the barrel fluted. The rifle weighs in at just in the 9 to 11 pound range with scope and bypod. It recoils like a 3006 or like a max load 308. My 120 pound wife can shot it with no bruising. My 200 yd group is about a quarter Moa off the bypod. Ive gotten to try from ranges at to 100 yds to 700yds with one shot hit. The target being 20 FL Oz bottles mtn dew. But I didnt have any time put in the reciver or action. I really dont plan on. Go with a Mcgrowen barrel its worth the money and wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts