Savage 110 Action Fix

DoneNOut

I know there is nothing new under the Sun, but I had a problem with both my 110 Savage actions (300 WM) binding the rounds while trying to chamber. The case head would hop above the bolt face coming off the magazine and thus not feed into the chamber.

Remedy was quite simple. Punch out the ejector retaining pin, pull the ejector out, and run the ejector over a flat file to create a beveled angled towards the firing pin hole. I just eyeballed the slight angle so no definite degree known.

Both actions in these newer model Savages now work great after this procedure. I'm not happy with Savage representatives denying this problem with their actions exists. They just claim it's a magazine issue. There are so many people complaining about this in forums and on YouTube it's impossible for Savage not to know.

If Savage would bevel the ejectors to start they would save a lot of time & money for both sides.

Last edited:
I know there is nothing new under the Sun, but I had a problem with both my 110 Savage actions (300 WM) binding the rounds while trying to chamber. The case head would hop above the bolt face coming off the magazine and thus not feed into the chamber.

Remedy was quite simple. Punch out the ejector retaining pin, pull the ejector out, and run the ejector over a flat file to create a beveled angled towards the firing pin hole. I just eyeballed the slight angle so no definite degree known.

Both actions in these newer model Savages now work great after this procedure. I'm not happy with Savage representatives denying this problem with their actions exists. They just claim it's a magazine issue. There are so many people complaining about this in forums and on YouTube it's impossible for Savage not to know.

If Savage would bevel the ejectors to start they would save a lot of money by not shipping out magazines for remedy.
Could you post a picture of your modification?

Attachments

• AE7276B9-4D26-4BEA-82F1-80154F1B48F8.jpeg
    AE7276B9-4D26-4BEA-82F1-80154F1B48F8.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 267
im confused ... can you please explain what the modification is fixing ,

how does the modifying and angling of the the ejector plunger affect a new shell going into the chamber ??? seems like that could only effect the removal of case ??

is the spent case getting in the way of the new case

im confused ... can you please explain what the modification is fixing ,

how does the modifying and angling of the the ejector plunger affect a new shell going into the chamber ??? seems like that could only effect the removal of case ??

is the spent case getting in the way of
Empty chamber. The loaded rounds in the magazine do not center on the bolt face to be pushed into the chamber. Instead, they slide past the ejector and above the bolt face touching the top of the receiver. This points the round down into the chamber cavity and binds up.

The bevel allows the case head/rim to ride along the bevel and stop it on the bolt face centered. Took a long time for me to wrap my head around how this would work, but it does and my lovely laserbeam Savage 110s are running great. You can also shave .002" off the top of the ejector to help out. I just did a light passing over the file on the tops.

Prior to this I spent lots of time trying to pry apart feed lips in the magazine thinking there was too much force of the round off the magazine. Savage sent me two additional magazines to test. No joy on any magazines or manipulations of them. The ejector beveling did the trick.

Not my gun, but I do have this same model and this was what exactly happened with mine:

Last edited:
Savage has made their ejectors both ways, for some unknown reason.
I've had them with ejectors beveled from the factory, had them flat...

I think that beveling is also advantageous in preventing the flat face from scraping tiny brass shavings off the casehead on ejection as well.

glad to hear your rifle is working for you ..

still would like to brainstorm about it ..that video looks to me like its needing chamfer and polish on the rear side of the bolt lugs enough to not dnag on the belt (no?).. in combination with ejector pluger protruding farther than the most forward point of the bolt lugs .. or just too long in general ..

was your shoulder on the brass the getting dings . as though the case shoulder length was not into the chamber before it release from magazine ..

Would it have been possible to use a Dremel-like tool with a small stone to hone down the ejector without having to disassemble the bolt?

now that you mention it, I remember how easy it was to remove just the extractor. The first time I took apart and reassembled the entire bolt, I took pictures. now it's easy and quick. kind of surprised that Savage hasn't addressed this issue in a more consumer-friendly manner.

are you saying its getting pinched between the roof of the action and the plunger ?? is the plunger just too long ???

if you were to just trim it flush to bolt face .. would it still have enough force to eject ?

are you saying its getting pinched between the roof of the action and the plunger ?? is the plunger just too long ???

if you were to just trim it flush to bolt face .. would it still have enough force to eject ?
The procedure for this is to take .001 off the top, maybe…and bevel the ejector as I've shown. I'd recommend not taking off the top and just do the bevel. So if you want this, in the most uninvasive manner just bevel.