Savage 11 Long Range Hunter??????

muleythumper

I was wondering what, if anything, you all had to say regarding the Savage LR Hunter. I am looking for a LR rig in 260 or the 6.5 Creedmoor, to be used primarily for western muleys and Texas whitetails out to 600 - 700 yards.

What do you know about the adjustable break that comes standard with this model? How about the standard adjustable comb stock? Any info would be appreciated, since I have not seen these rifles in my local gun stores.

Thanks!

Of the 2 the 260rem is your better option, due to it having better reloading components. Also the adjustable break is a joke, point of impact changes when break is opened and closed. A better option may be a Savage model 10 predator hunter max 1 and adding a cheek piece to it, and it should still be cheaper, has same twist and contour barrel with no break as it is not necessary for a 260, also has camo accustock, give it a look on the savage web page.

I have a few buddy's with LRH. Different calibers than the 260 and 6.5. All shoot fairly well. With some load development I think you would be happy. I would also choose the 260 between the two. You will have no problem with WT or Muley out to 6 to 700 as you mentioned.

I have this rifle in 6.5x284. It is extremely accurate producing consistent .25-.5 MOA out to 500 yards with hand loads. The muzzle brake works fine, but is subject to freezing up. Brake cleaner works to free it up, but I now just leave it it the on position. The Kardsten check piece is a great addition. I have put one on my other rifle, I liked it so much. The stock is OK and has a good bedding system. I di have to remove some material off the fore end tip to fully float the barrel. The accu trigger is excellent. Overall, it ia a great rifle for the money. I also have a Savage LRP in 260 that is as accurate as the LRH. It should work well for your ranges. I would recommend it over the CM. Hornady brass is inconsistent. Your only other option is to fire form 22-250 brass. You can get Lapua for the 260, Performance between the two is comparable.IMHO

Have one in 25-06. I've only shot factory ammo through it so far--Fed 115gr Nosler Partitions--but it's grouping consistently under 0.5 MOA at 100-200 yards with those, right out of the box. Very happy with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts