Savage 11/111 338 lapua case sticking problems

I spoke to savage they said send the gun in and blamed hornady fir having brass issues. They said they only recommend black hills ammo. And that they are not aware of any problems with there product. I checked head space and got .0015" seems a bit tight to me.

I am only responding do to the fact that I own a custom M40 .338 Lapua and have only fire 285gr Hornady ammo through it. I have accually fired 540 rounds to be exact and have not had one issue with brass sticking. My gun maker long time family friend who has been a gunsmith for 57yrs will tell you the only thing that will make brass stick is a bad chamber or bad headspace. If the brass was poor enough to expand that much in a currect size camber it would also cause a ruptured round.

For what its worth I have a full custom on a Stiller action and Pacnor barrel. I fired Hornady factory ammo that someone gave me. It cycled perfectly. I then tried to reload the brass and every piece I fired in this rifle stuck to the point I had to tap the brass out with a rod and the bolt was very stiff. I then pulled the matchkings from what I had not fired and transfered the powder over to lapua brass and have had no problems at all. Not a sticky bolt or hard extraction. This load is a max load of 92 gr of h1000. There were no pressure sings on either brass other than the Hornady brass sticking in the chamber. I assure you I have a good chamber and the brass is the only diference.

I use nosler and lapua brass. I have never heard of a rifle that is so temperamental that the manufacturer will only say one type of ammo can be used. Especially when most all will push a300 gr bullet at 2750-2800 fps without complaint. And these are about 2600-2700.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.