Savage 10FP-LE2A ?

moses

Hello everybody,
I'm interested in long range hunting and i have decided to purchase the Savage 10FP-LE2A. My question is what is the maximum effective range for the .308? I will be hunting whitetail deer that don't usually go over 250lbs. Thank you in advance for all the help.

I believe that the .308 Win is an effective killer out to 600-650 yards, after that we do not see shock effect since the bullets are more likely to pass through because of lack of expansion. We have killed a dozen or more past 700 with the .308 but they do not die quick unless the nervous system is hit. From 500-650 the little cartridge will kill very well with 150-175 grain bullets. We use bonded bullets, match bullets and Barnes TripleShocks with good results in the .308 Win.

My longest kill on a big game critter is 618yds with a 308 and Black Hills 175gr SMK ammo , the deer was a smallish doe and she only ran 30-40yds after being hit , the wound channel looked like I would expect a Partition's to look , their was some expansion and both lungs were wiped out.

If I were going to hand load for the 308 and shooting deer out to 500-600yds I'd use the 178gr A-Max as it'll carry the energy out their and still expand pretty well.

With the right condiditons and my hand loads using the 178gr A-max I would shoot a deer at 1000yds and feel confident that he would die quickly but only if their was no other way to close the gap , but the conditions would have to be perfect as an animal can move a good ways from the time the trigger trips till the bullet lands. But on average I would say 700yds would max

[ QUOTE ]
Hello everybody,
I'm interested in long range hunting and i have decided to purchase the Savage 10FP-LE2A. My question is what is the maximum effective range for the .308? I will be hunting whitetail deer that don't usually go over 250lbs. Thank you in advance for all the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not on expert on long range as others are here but I can tell you that given your rifle of choice I would go with the 300 Win mag. I have reloaded many times for this rifle. Half inch groups at 200 yards with RL22 was the norm. I have the same rifle in 25-06 but have not fired it yet.

Don't buy the 10FP-LE2A. I've had one for a few years and was really impressed with the accuracy. I was shooting recently and had a hard time ejecting one of the spent cartridges. When it came out it had part of the bore wrapped around it. Now I have to send the rifle back to Savage (the warranty is only good for 1 year) and hope they will see fit to fix it. Otherwise I have to buy a new barrel. That's almost as much as a new rifle. I would rather just buy another name brand of rifle. Stay away from Savage. 300 rounds and the barrel is falling apart. Must be made in China.

Don't buy the 10FP-LE2A. I've had one for a few years and was really impressed with the accuracy. I was shooting recently and had a hard time ejecting one of the spent cartridges. When it came out it had part of the bore wrapped around it. Now I have to send the rifle back to Savage (the warranty is only good for 1 year) and hope they will see fit to fix it. Otherwise I have to buy a new barrel. That's almost as much as a new rifle. I would rather just buy another name brand of rifle. Stay away from Savage. 300 rounds and the barrel is falling apart. Must be made in China.

Don't know what the problem is, but I have shot 2 Savage factory barrels to 3500 rounds in 3yrs and they fried by my own doing. Too hot of loads or too much preasure will destroy any barrel. They were both barrels with 2000rnds of .308 and bored out to 300WSM. Savage factory barrels are some of the best on the market, but like any barrel, if you abuse it, it will eventually come apart.

Tank

Yeah I must have abused it. I was shooting 168 grain National Match Ammo. If that's what it takes, maybe I should switch firearms manufacturers. I'm pretty easy on my rifles although I have a 1934 Spanish Mauser .308 in my closet that I've put around 15,000 rounds through in the last 30 years and it hasn't had a problem. I should probably be a little harder on it and see if I can make it's bore come out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.