savage 10 fp problems

Yes it does leave dimple on primer so dont know if its pin, headspace , tore bolt apart and everything looks fine , thought it might be bad lot of ammo but does same with other brands (even though i didnt wanna put them in gun) not sure what would cause it , pressure problem maybe????

Did you by chance take the bolt apart and play with it *before* this problem started? Is the gun 100% factory, or did you (or anyone else) rebarrel it or disassemble anything?

the bolt has not been apart before it started doing this the barrel is stock have not touch it the only thing i have done to gun so far is replace factory stock with choate sniper stock but was fireing and working like charm for awhile then WHAM wont fire dont really wanna take it to a smith or send it back to savage if its a easy fix i can do

also dont know if it matters but its an savage 10fp 7.62x51 (308) 22'' bull barrel and has accu trigger, i hear sometime people have problems with accu trigger ??

Okay. Just trying to establish the 'history' of the gun before we go too far down any particular path.

The 'it worked fine, then stopped' is the part that raises some flags.

Did you have any pierced or blown primers before when it was working? Its possible some bits of primer cup may have accumulated inside the bolt head (after being blown thru the firing pin hole) and may be causing problems.

Did the problem start *after* you changed stocks? It almost sounds like the new stock may be binding on the sear in some fashion causing it to hang up. I would think that when the firing pin lets go, it'd still have enough force to set off the primer but if something is dragging it could bleed enough energy off that there isn't enough left to set off the primer.

Check the firing pin protrusion. It should be at least .050.

If it is it could be dirty or have to much grease or oil inside and is just sluggish.

I have also seen a few firing pin springs that snaked down the firing pin and were dragging
on the inside of the bolt body slowing the firing pin down.

Just a few things to check.

J E CUSTOM

If the problem was the Accutrigger itself, you wouldn't be getting dimpled primers. The symptoms for Accutrigger issues is usually either the gun going click but not 'bang' and no primer dimples because the trigger is set too light and the shooter isn't pulling straight back, causing the trigger to trip the sear before the safety flag is out of the way, or else the trigger is set too light and the shooter smacks the bolt handle down against the stop/notch, jarring the sear and the shooter finds the safety flag locked up ridgid when they go to pull the trigger.

Neither case usually involves dimpled primers that I know of.

Ok no there wasnt anything in the bolt head or fireing pin spring, i was thinking same thing around sear stock may have effected it but after i put it on shot about 40 rounds though it and it was ok

will go and take bolt apart again and clean , clean, clean then take outta stock and maybe sand around sear area

What about the cross bolt that retains the bolt head to the bolt body... is it rotated correctly so the firing pin isn't dragging on it as it goes thru?

It still might be the stock... something could have shifted after a number of rounds, etc. Check for rub marks, etc.

I'm kinda running out of ideas for troubleshooting sight-unseen over the 'Net...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.