?? Sav. 10F vs. 12 varm.

zinc

I want a long range .308 as accurate as possible for with in reason. All the reading and videos points to savage, so I'm not even going to consider otherwise.
It seems everyone raves about the 10FP being the most accurate. Theres really no talk about the 12 varmint series being more accurate.
Are they ? I'm confused.
Savage doesnt actually make the FP anymore, but claim the other suffixes are really the exact same gun, but different stocks.
Savage told me the breaches bolts etc. is the same except the barrel length. Now the twelves are 4" longer. I'd think the longer would be more accurate.
I realize weight and versatility plays a factor, but thats not a concern to me. Accuracy is my concern.
So whats all the hype on youtube and stuff for. I'm confused on what series to get.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
Also here now, I need to set up a scope on this thing. Can you people please reccommend a scope and setup. I'd hate to exceed $500 on it, and it would be great if I could stay well under that also.
For practice, I'll be shooting squirrels as targets. Our field is several hundred yards long. But my overall intention of this rifle is to be able to shoot things bigger than sqirrels if need be as far as possible. Any thoughts or responses would be appreciated.

They use to make a Mod12 FV in a 1:10 with a chromoly barrel in .308. My cousin bought the FV. Until I could afford to get my rifle, I ended up with the 12VLP w/DBM. I personally love the VLP. The plan was for the 2 of us to buy FV's. The FP is the military version/law enforcement. It comes with a little nicer stock than the FV, and a blacked out bolt. As you stated it comes with the 22" barrel. The 26" will not be any more accurate, but provide a little more velocity when loaded properly than the 22". I really like my VLP. It has been a great gun from the factory, but also has evolved into a nice rifle platform to build off of. They are all equally accurate. You can buy the .308 in the FVSS now. That is a fairly new offering. If you go the Mil/LEO route, the Savage Arms is the one I would go with. I like the big box mag option. It would work well for not having to purchase aftermarket bottom metal that allows the DBM of that type. I hope this clears things up. If you want the Mod 12 series, then the F-T/R, VLP, Palma, or the FVSS.

Thanks Liltank. Actually I, was ready to get the vlp dbm. The hangup I have w/ it is my right hand doesn't grip the stock well. The ball of my hand and thumb doesn't fell right , and it feels awkward for my thumb to wrap over. My feelings lately, have been to buy it anyway. If it remains a problem, I'd buy a thumbhole stock for it.
Now I'm not sure what you meant about bigger box mags and aftermarket ones in relation to the bvss and vlp. I just didn't quite comprehend what you meant there?
If you look at savages 12 series guns on website, the 12 BTCSS appears identical to the vlp and bvss, except they don't offer it in anything larger than .223. I talk to savage, they claim I can buy that stock for 300, and stick it on the vlp. Does anyone see a problem w/ that? When I repeatedly asked if it would effect the float of the barrel, she kept interupting me and cutting me off, and avoiding that answer. Her reply was that there is no sanding or fitting required, just bolt it on. I don't know much about floating barrels etc, but I have a hard time imagining you can buy a piece of wood thats finished to fit all these different guns. I'm also hesitant to mess w/ things that have been designed a particular way. Also curious to why they don't offer the any 308s in a thumbhole. Anyone have any thoughts on this or swapping the stocks?

The barrel will float in what ever stock you put it in, as long as it is a Savage. If you look at the picture of the rifle with a larger magazine(its in the Tactical Rifles section) it extends down and has a higher capacity than the normal magazine of the 12 VLP. If you intend to go with the VLP, go ahead and order it in the BVSS stock, or I'm sure you could order the thumbhole offered by Savage. As to why they only make certain calibers in certain rifles.... I have no idea. The best I can figure is that the Mod 12 line is geared toward Varmint and precision shooting. There are better calibers suited for varminting than a .308 due to flat trajectory. But the .308 is a good do all caliber for much larger game compared to the .204 or 22-250. I agree, they should offer .308 in what ever model you want.

Check out the new 10FCP-SR, it is matte black, uses a 3 color digital camo accustock semi beavertail with 3 swivel studs, has a 24" 10 twist fluted barrel threaded 5/8-24 with a thread protecter, and has a accuracy int 10 round dbm, also comes with a weaver 20moa rail, very nice setup in the law enforcement series. Saw one on the shelf today for 950. Top it with a SWFA SS 16x42 scope and you'll have about 1300 in the whole setup, and should be good to 800yrds. The 12BVSS is a nice choice as well.

Thank you you two. I think liltank is recommending the BVSS because of my complaining about the top of the grip on VLP. Well the BVSS bottom part of grip looks nice, but I think the top is the same. I haven't been able to find one on a shelf to hold, like I did the vpl. Yes I looked at the 10fcp-sr, It's definately nice. I'm thinking I prefer wood though. I kinda like my guns a little bit showy off looking. So I'm thinking stainless. But accuracy is function is most important.
At the moment I think I still want the vlp over any of the others. The way I'm understanding this, all the 10s and 12s have the same breach, action and barrel. Just diff lengths of barrel. And they all have the same accuracy.
But I'm still all ears if someone else has different opinion.

Thank you for touching on the scope. I need to get that figured out as well. I am hoping to get a few diff suggetions on that, and I'll pic one. I searched the SWFA SS 16X42, It was priced at 300. If said it was a tactical scope. What diff about tactical scope versus other scopes?

I have a 112 bvss in 300 win mag and it is probably the most accurate out of the box gun I have ever owned. I topped it off with a vortex viper and a 20 moa rail. I am shooting 3" groups at 500 yards with it

The way the SS scopes are set up is just that your parallax adj is on a dial at the back where your magnification would normally be instead of the front or side, they are fixed power, have a mildot crosshair, and open turrets (no covers to unscrew to adjust poi).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.