Satisfied Savage owners - speak out!

I own several Savages, LRH 6.5-284, Predator 22-250, LRP 260, 110FCP 338LM, and two 22 rim fires, TR, BVSS. All are very accurate and reliable except for the 338 which is having sticking case issues which I am currently trying to sort out. All of these rfles are .5 MOA or less.

I love my 111 fcns 30-06 accustock, accutrigger. After de-lawering the trigger (it was decocking) and cut, crown and threading the barrel for a muzzle brake. I will camo duracoat it soon. It shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yds consistantly with Sierra MK 210 gr.
Yes I am anal, I seldom leave a new rifle stock.
Yes I do my own work!

It is one of my few sporter weight rifles but a keeper.

Kevin
gun)

Who resurrected this from the grave?

Anyway I'm a fond believer in the factory Savage and their precision for the $. I own four of which three can compete with any custom.

That laminated stock with the blue laminations is a beauty, but it makes my eyes go squirrely when I look at the view with it next to the groundhog. I'd bet it looks even better up close.

Where did you get it?

Spencer

Bought it used on the web. It is a Boyd's stock.

Savage has such a great reputation for making an out-of-the-box accurate factory rifle. Especially now that they have not only the floating bolt head and the Accutrigger but also the Accustock with its superior bedding system.

Here is a great review of the Accustock:

Savage Arms Accustock Review

So I am curious to see what you satisfied Savage owners have to say.

Satisfied Savage owners - speak out in this thread!

most folks own more Savages than I do, but I got all I really need right now anyway. I own three bolt guns, and two 99's. I just don't how I managed to survive all these years before I got my first 99!!!
gary

I love my model 10 in 260 rem. I hate the accutrigger. Just can't wrap my mind around having a trigger within a trigger. Going to swap it out ASAP. Otherwise it's a blast to shoot.

No but I have a Springfield xdsc. Same trigger concept. But on a pistol it serves as a safety. There's already a safety on the savage. I'm just not impressed with the trigger.

I love my model 10 in 260 rem. I hate the accutrigger. Just can't wrap my mind around having a trigger within a trigger. Going to swap it out ASAP. Otherwise it's a blast to shoot.
You can easily remove the blade and jb weld in the slit left in the trigger. That's what I did mine would decock the rifle with a straight pull every so often.

Just bought my 3rd Savage and it was a lemon. My first an LRP .260rem is a tack driving, bug hole shooting, precision rifle. My second is a 93R17GV that is rediculously accurate so much so that my 7yr old step-son can hit empty shotgun shells at 100yds with ease. The most recent is a 10 Predator .260rem that can only muster 1.5in groups at 100yds. After scoping the barrel with a bore scope it is easy to see why. The barrel has tool chatter marks intermitantly through out the barrel and pitting in the last 1inch or so. I called Savage CS and spoke with a very nice lady who sent the big brown truck out today to pick it up and return it for inspection. We will see how the CS of Savage works. If they make it right I will still recomend and brag up Savage to everyone who asks. If they do not make it right it will be the last one I buy. I just hope it is as good as the others when I get it back.

Just bought my 3rd Savage and it was a lemon. My first an LRP .260rem is a tack driving, bug hole shooting, precision rifle. My second is a 93R17GV that is rediculously accurate so much so that my 7yr old step-son can hit empty shotgun shells at 100yds with ease. The most recent is a 10 Predator .260rem that can only muster 1.5in groups at 100yds. After scoping the barrel with a bore scope it is easy to see why. The barrel has tool chatter marks intermitantly through out the barrel and pitting in the last 1inch or so. I called Savage CS and spoke with a very nice lady who sent the big brown truck out today to pick it up and return it for inspection. We will see how the CS of Savage works. If they make it right I will still recomend and brag up Savage to everyone who asks. If they do not make it right it will be the last one I buy. I just hope it is as good as the others when I get it back.

an interesting side light to your post about the barrel. I've seen several sub half inch group barrels in my lifetime that looked like a corn cob! But have also seen several barrels that looks slicker than snot that would hold a two inch group. You answered the issue in your post about the last couple inches of the barrel. That part is the most critical part of the barrel istelf. I suspect that not is the barrel a little rough, but also opens up in the last two to four inches. I have a Remington rifle that started out as a 26" barrel. The chamber was bad, the barrel iself was so rough that it actually tore up patches! But the worst offender other than the chamber was the last two inches of the barrel being about (roughly) .0025" bigger than the rest of the barrel's I.D. I cut the big end back about 2" and cut the muzzel back 4" for a 20" barrel. With about forty minutes of trying to lap some of the tight spots out, and leaving the last four inches alone I now can shoot .45" groups verses 4.25" groups prior. The barrels I.D. still looks pretty ugly, but it will shoot pretty good. Still not as good as an out of the box Savage.

I now run a very tight patch thru every barrel on a new firearm before I ever pull the trigger. I will go so far as to plot the loose and tight spots in the I.D. for future reference. A bad chamber can often be seen with a case gauge and some once fired brass out of that chamber (unsized of course).
gary

Let me start by saying that I am NEW to LRH. I've hunted my entire life and have taken animals out to 476 yards (longest kill to date). However I've always dreamed about that 1000 yard shot. Well it just so happens that I was drawn for elk this year, and figured I would build a budget long range rifle that was capable of taking an elk up to 1000 yards so that I could use it on my elk hunt this year. I have plans of building a better rifle in the future, but I didn't want to spend 5 grand right out of the gate. So that's a little history on my reason for this rifle. Anyways I've always been a Howa guy, but decided to see if the grass was greener on the other side (seeing how they talk about out of the box accuracy so often). I purchased a 7mm Rem Mag 111 Trophy Hunter XP. My first impression was that this things feels cheap, what a piece of junk!!! Lol. I wasn't too impressed honestly by just holding the rifle. I started by removing the scope, rings, and base. I added a BackHawk Picatinny 0 MOA rail, BlackHack 30mm Rings, and a 2.5-10x44 Vortex Viper PST Scope. I adjusted the accutrigger down as low as it would go, which ended up being 3lbs on my rifle. I also added a BlackHawk Bipod. After the rifle was together I took it to the range and broke the barrel in. It was shooting just over 1 MOA during the break in with factory ammo. I then spent a lot of time working up a load for the rifle. I ended up with the following:
168 Berger VLD Hunting Bullets (seated to the lands)
69.6 grains H1000 Powder
Remington Brass
WLRM Primers
3024 fps
The results were fantastic. At 100 yards I am getting .560-.650" 5 shot groups almost (I'm the weak link) every time out at the range. Now I have only taken the rifle out to 500 yards so far, but I am going to change that this weekend. In conclusion I'm very happy with what I have ended up with. A rifle that only cost $1500 bucks, and will shoot sub moa all day long as long as I do my part. All in all the rifle performs as it should. The things that I don't like about the Savage are the accutrigger (just doesn't feel right to me, not even close to a factory Howa IMHO), the bolt (looks good but doesn't feel that smooth), and the stock (about as flimsy as a wet noodle, but most people won't stick with the factory stock so I guess that isn't a huge issue). So for the future I plan on getting a new trigger, and a new stock. So would I buy another Savage? Sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.