Satellite services?

jdavistx

Has anyone had experience with Iridium Satellite services? I've been looking at satellite/text/gps/map combos. Yes, you have to pay a service fee. Something like a Garmin inReach Explorer.

I've had the Garmin InReach Explorer for about 4 years, it's a great safety product. My son just borrowed it for his Artic Caribou hunt.

There are several usage options available and you can turn it on/off as you need it. I use the new Safety Package, about $16 per month.

Garmin InReach does use the Iridium network. Are you asking about any service using that network, or services/products offered direct from Iridium? Several vendors partner with Iridium (I have a post asking for feedback on the Zoleo product, which also uses the Iridium network).

Another one to look at is the iridium go. I work in the marine electronic field. The in reach is a great product but almost every Capt gets the go instead. You can make phone calls as well as text plus some data for emails if important. Just one more option To look at.

There a relative new Sat communicator on the market called Zoleo. It uses the Iridium network, it does SOS and messages (no voice). I just bought one last week and have not activated it yet. But you get assigned an email address and a phone number, so you can SOS, send/rec text messages, send/rec emails, and get weather reports. It is less expensive than the inreach mini. There is no mapping.

You do have to carry your phone and connect to the device via bluetooth.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.