Sat messaging

KSB209

Anyone ever use this service? I have a SPOT devise for SOS and I know they have a messenger too but this looks pretty cool and links to your cell phone

Anyone ever use this service? I have a SPOT devise for SOS and I know they have a messenger too but this looks pretty cool and links to your cell phone

But don't get lost in Taliban controlled Afghanistan, China, Cuba, India, Iran, North Korea, Syria and Sudan. LOL

Cell phone boosters were really common when my wife and I were on her Buffalo hunt in Delta Junction, people were using them in their trucks as that hunt does allow electronic communications between hunters. Seemed very effective for getting service without having to Bluetooth to the InReach and use up your texts. Downside is you need power(at least a cigarette lighter plug-in in the vehicle) and an existing signal, so truly remote areas it probably wouldn't be too useful.

"and a cell phone signal amplifier"

Please tell me about this.

Here is an example of one you could hike with. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/sat-messaging.264158/#post-2147381 You can find these for and brand of phone. They are often just an accessory antennae combined with an amplifier. They work just like wifi extenders you might put in your basement or shop to extend the reach of your home internet. They pick up on weak signal and amplify it. In my case, if Im in an area where I can get 1 bar of service, using the signal booster I'll often get three bars. Or if Im in an area where Im in and out of service, I'll usualy be able to maintain one to two bars of service. Doesn't help for true wilderness though. As long as I am in within one ridge line of a valley that has a cell tower, I can reliably pick up signal. If I get two ridge lines over, I need the GPS, but I'll still get signal if Im on a ridge line, even 10 miles back sometimes.

The one I bought for my truck is strong enough to amplify 4g signal to the point my wife and I can both work remotely while camping in wilderness areas. You need a way to get the antennae high enough though. This is the one I bought for my truck: https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-4702...one+amplifier+for+truck&qid=1615594982&sr=8-4. I get the meanest looks from people who follow our tracks up some 4x4 road, only to see my wife and I sitting around a fire with our laptops out working. We love it though.

Cell phone boosters were really common when my wife and I were on her Buffalo hunt in Delta Junction, people were using them in their trucks as that hunt does allow electronic communications between hunters. Seemed very effective for getting service without having to Bluetooth to the InReach and use up your texts. Downside is you need power(at least a cigarette lighter plug-in in the vehicle) and an existing signal, so truly remote areas it probably wouldn't be too useful.

You can buy rechargeable ones. I have one that looks like a little hockey puck... trying to find the amazon link for it. Its works pretty good. The ones you can hook up to your truck are awesome though.

I have a Garmin InReach. It is a must mountain hunting in CO or MT. No cell out there so you have to have the emergency capabilities of the SATs. Also texting capable, so if there is an emergency at home you are connected. Also great as a back up tracking source. Will guide you back to camp, kill site, etc...don't leave home without it during hunting season.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.