Santa, I need a better Rangefinder

Broz

Well, I have spent the last two mornings set up slightly above a huge wheat field trying to bust an old dog yote that I have been seeing. This morning he and his girlfriend showed up. Picture a yellow wheat field with 8" of stubble and all one nice yellow / tan color. So here I am with the big dog at 1330 to 1380 and I could not get a range on him. 7 degrees, NO wind, my 338 Lapua on the bipod with a sold bag at the rear. Leica 1200 CRF would not range him. :rolleyes: Swaro laser guide would only give me a number once in 10 hits. Dog was very small in the huge reticle. So I put the swaro on a sand bag and centeredt him in the circle. 1330, nothin, nothin nothin 1360, nothin 1335,nothin nothin 1380,nothin nothin 1340,nothin nothin 1410... Darn it!!!

So I plugged in 1360 in the pda exbal and dialed up. Adjusted out the paralex, waited for a broadside shot, Leveled, aimed for that little spot right behind the front shoulder center mass, preloaded the pod just a bit and lightly touched it off sending a 300 SMK with a beautiful vapro trail in his direction.....

gun)

OH Oh ohhhhhh looks good!! ?????? Whopp!!huge dust ball, looked like a bomb went off right over his back 3' behind him....

Guess he was at 1330 aarrrrrrrrhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::D

I'll be back there tomorrow hope he comes back.:)

So, what is the next step up in rangefinders? ... will spending $3k fix my problem???

I need to get educated on different units , reticle size and beam devergence. Or stick with bigger targets, or start hunting hillsides.

The Saga continues..

Jeff

Last edited:
Even the Leica Locator Plus, honest 4000 yd unit, won't handle that situation...and it costs several times more than 3K unless you are high enough to be shooting down into the ground around the target.

Even the Leica Locator Plus, honest 4000 yd unit, won't handle that situation...and it costs several times more than 3K unless you are high enough to be shooting down into the ground around the target.

So Len, Sounds like I am expecting too much ? Is there a better way to range over flat ground?

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

I used a Russian Laser Rangefinder and I never saw a target it would not hit. It did not seem to matter what the surface was or the angle. I always got consistent readings. These rangefinders are still out there somewhere. Remember these are military rangefinders and they are not eye-safe. When a rangefinder is not eye-safe you can almost bet the farm they will work.
Jerry

o I put the swaro on a sand bag and centeredt him in the circle. 1330, nothin, nothin nothin 1360, nothin 1335,nothin nothin 1380,nothin nothin 1340,nothin nothin 1410... Darn it!!!

A $24 tripod mightl get done what you wanted to do. You cannot expect to hand hold a rangefinder at those distances. I normally carry two or three tripods when working at those distances. Santa is going to bring me one of those Vanguard multi heads that Shawn Carlock uses so I wont have to have a separate tripod for my spotting scope and rangefinder.

Something to try at least.

Last edited:
A $24 tripod mightl get done what you wanted to do. You cannot expect to hand hold a rangefinder at those distances. I normally carry two or three tripods when working at those distances. Santa is going to bring me one of those Vanguard multi heads that Shawn Carlock uses so I wont have to have a separate tripod for my spotting scope and rangefinder.

Something to try at least.

BB,

Might you have a link to the 'multi-head' you talk about? Makes alot of sense.

Jon

When I am prone I have found a couple sand bags to be more stable than a tripod. On my tripods when you push the button to range it will move. I hold the RF solid down on the bags , get it on target then push. This is the most stable method I have found.

Jeff

The tripod suggestion is absolutely correct. You will almost always get two hundred more yards with a tripod. Military rangefinders are used on a tripod if at all possible. Handholding is a poor way to get an accurate reading.
Jerry

My experience has been somewhat different, however after my first Darrell Holland ART reticle, I have finally put my Leica away and don't even carry it with me in the field.

Being in South Texas, I shoot along senderos (firebreaks) that I try and make as straight as possible. This whole purpose is to maintain deer population in balance with what the habitat will support.

In varied weather conditions the Leica rangefinder normally wouldn't get me anything. I just went back to Sierra's ballistics software and set up the fundamentals and then with Excel I put in size of Javalinas, White-tailed Doe, yearling buck, mature and post mature buck sizes and with MOA, I have, what I feel, is better and more accurate than my rangefinder.

The cool aspect is the simplicity of setting up my shot; all hunting blinds are same make and model so the rifle is out the window and set up post haste. I get a bracket from its shoulder to bottom of chest. If there are other animals (eg Javalinas) in the area I will confirm with them. If I need to pull off a fairly quick shot, I have my drops associated with each animal, breath, pull, pop.

Extreemely humane kills at distances applicable to South Texas where some can get to 500-600 yards.

I thought about eBaying the rangefinder cuz I don't really have a use for it now but it still has its own spot in my gun safe. I occasionally get it out to confirm distances on the rifle range.

It is my second year now with this procedure and I haven't even had the desire to find/buy another rangefinder.

Cheers!

Wally

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.