Sand bags or bipod for load development

Sand bags/rests set up so the rifle can recoil straight back and not effect/impede the harmonics of your rifle (by adding effective mass, as in your rifle is trying to move the sandbag instead of moving freely on the sandbag) is undoubtedly a more consistent method of shooting in general, and my preferred method of load development.
For the sake of harmonic accuracy I configure my rifle exactly as I will for its intended purpose, including stock pack with extra ammo, bipod mounted, brake/suppressor etc and then shoot it off of bags to develop a load. It might not make a huge difference, but I'm going to the trouble of finding the middle of a accurate forgiving node, and a little due diligence isn't to hard.

Ah yes, 100yds or ---------------------

With the friend and his off beat rifle currently being worked on, AND not know just how consistent he might be in testing the loads we are working up, I suggested 50yds with the hopes that we see results usable moving forward. At this point, If the best test targets I've seen at this point had been fired at 100yds, I'd say we were headed in the right direction.

However, considering they were fired at the shorter distance, we clearly have some work to do!

Had these test loads been fired at 100yds, well there would be a lot of head scratching going on as to just why the groups were so open.

If, on the other hand I had fired the test groups, I'd at least know the conditions and control under which they were fired.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I'm asking for load development only. I would hunt, practice and compete with a bipod. I know I should work on my consistency with a bipod, but sometimes I get frustrated during load development, especially group shooting, because I think it's me when that flyer pops out of the group, or the weird impact on the long range ladder happens.
What do you guys do?
I have always done my load development with a bipod. All of my barrels are free floated and stocks are rigid, meaning they are either laminate or have a full length aluminum bedding block, so the bipod doesn't cause the stock to make, or add additional pressure to the barrel.

Im not the best shooter in the world. But I get same results with either at 100-200! I prefer bipod front and sandbag rear!

REPEATABILITY.
no one in BENCHREST uses a bipod nor just a sandbag at the front.
you are testing the AMMO and the RIFLE at this point, not the skill of the shooter.
eliminate as many variables as possible.
( you know the 7.62x 54r has held international records and is still shot out to 1000 yds. longest in use rifle/cartridge in the world. so tell me more about that..maybe in another thread)

I agree with ALF, one needs a strong foundation as a shooting platform. One needs a stable platform to shoot from. Would you want to make a correction off a bad hold?

The only way a bipod would impact accuracy with load development is if you have a flimsy stock and/or the stock makes contact with the barrel thus increasing pressure against it. If neither of those two factors exist I can't see how a bipod is not as sturdy a foundation as anything else...

I'm asking for load development only. I would hunt, practice and compete with a bipod. I know I should work on my consistency with a bipod, but sometimes I get frustrated during load development, especially group shooting, because I think it's me when that flyer pops out of the group, or the weird impact on the long range ladder happens.
What do you guys do?

Personally, I use a bipod, but you should really be using a lead-sled. The idea of load development is repeatable accuracy. Having YOU or your GRIP or your FLINCH or your headache du jour isn't part of load development. You need a lead-sled and at least a 24x simple crosshair or dot scope. Exact same point of aim, shot to shot, and no other input except the variations in the ammunition you are trying to develop. Anything else risks minute changes from shot to shot that will render your accuracy results completely invalid except by accident. Once the load is developed, then practice shooting from your expected field rest: bipod, tripod, sticks, rucksack, rump of your dead horse or fender of your quad-runner, whatever you expect to use in the field. Then you will know what the load is capable of, and you can practice until you can determine what YOU are capable of.

just not true.
NOT REPEATABLE
it is NOT SOLID it moves
it is why people use FRONT RESTS
The only way a bipod would impact accuracy with load development is if you have a flimsy stock and/or the stock makes contact with the barrel thus increasing pressure against it. If neither of those two factors exist I can't see how a bipod is not as sturdy a foundation as anything else...

I built a little bench to take with me and many times purposely shoot in different places. although maybe not the case, there have been times off and on where I questioned the store bought adjustable front rest causing some unexpected impacts. I finally just made a great big sand bag about the size of a paper grocery sack and filled it with river sand. I like this the best along with a rear bag. it weights the bench down too.

just not true.
NOT REPEATABLE
it is NOT SOLID it moves
it is why people use FRONT RESTS

What is not repeatable with a bipod? Holding the crosshairs on the bullseye? Sorry, THATS JUST BULLSH!T Since we are using capital letter for emphasis. Sure, you can use a front rest, or even a leadsled. But he isn't talking about shooting F class. A bipod and a sandbag in the back works awesome. Unless you really suck at shooting and don't know how to press the trigger and flinch like a little bitch, bipods work fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.