Sand bags, bipods or leadslead?

b money

Ok I'm slowly getting into precision rifle shooting and right now I consider myself to be starting from the bottom. The farthest I can currently shoot with my remington 700PSS is 300 yards and I can't use a rifle for deer so other than a range time it doesn't see much field use(YET). With that said I'm looking for some kind of rest that will be super steady for precision shooting but also something a bit taller then the tiny sand bags I have now. Currently I have to put the front bag on a 50cal ammo can then the back rest on a 30cal can just so I can shoot without the buttstock hitting the table. Also the 300 yard range I shoot to is up a little hill so I'm not sure if a leadslead or the like will have enough travel. Bipods are out for the time being because my HS stock has been cracked by someone putting a bipod on too tight but I'm thinking about getting a McMillan A5 so that could be an option. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks!

A bipod with a rear squeeze is the best option. It will shooting from both the bench and prone. As you start shooting longer ranges you will probably want to go to a bipod, squeeze bag and shooting mat anyways.

Maybe the cracked stock can be mended and a new sling holder installed?

Ok I'll look into the bipod and rear bag, but for the time being tis there any company's that make taller bags? Like I said mine are pretty short and I just want to carry the bags and not a ton of other stuff. I'm looking for about an 10-12ish inch tall front bag and maybe a 6-8ish inch rear bag.

Also on my stock there are already 2 front swivels but because the crack is almost touching the good swivel I don't really want to use it in fear of the stock breaking further. For fixing it I'm not sure, I guess I could call HS Precision and see if they could fix it.

Midway sells some polymer bead bags that lots of folks use for rear squeeze bags and such. They come in different sizes and are fairly light. They could be stacked them up I guess.

I used to take a coat, jacket, something like that, roll it up and compress with rope or twine. Easy to make that 12" tall and sturdy enough to shoot from. Then all you have to carry with you is the coat and rope. I use a loggers hitch.

That bipod buddy looks kinda neat. These will only be used at the range so I'm not worried about weight.

b money

IMHO you should look into Caldwell's "The Rock" series of front rests. Most of the Stores carry them and they have a selection of filled front bags. You can make due with your bags or use one of their specialized rear bags. The front rest is very adjustable for height.
Here are the links to these rests here at the LRH Store. The prices are the best you will find:
Caldwell "The Rock" Deluxe Shooting Rest
Caldwell The Rock Jr.

This is your real solution. Bench Rest shooters use this approach.

KB

That bipod buddy looks kinda neat. These will only be used at the range so I'm not worried about weight.

I use mine at the range and afield and works very well ...

P5302437_zps219faded.jpg

A field test from Jeff's (BROZ) thread >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/bipod-buddy-rear-suppor-review-77430/

I'm liking that Caldwell rock, the bipod buddy looks very cool to but right now I don't think it's what I need, I don't use rifles afield so weight is not a concern.

Check out Dog gone good bags. Awesome bags for bench shooting. I've also used them from landings on the west coast. Just add a rear bag.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.